DSD+ through microphone?

Forum for DMR, dPMR, NEXEDGE, Mototrbo, MARC, Tetra & all other DIGITAL modes

DSD+ through microphone?

Postby PalMal » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:25 pm

Hi all,

I tapped the discrim on my scanner so I could eventually use DSD+ but unfortunately my laptop does not have a 'line in'. Will using DSD+ work on the discrim to mic connector or is it problematic that way? Just want to enquire before I download and take a look at DSD software/setup.

Thanks.
PalMal

Re: DSD+ through microphone?

Postby jimh » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:40 pm

Based on my experiences, I would say it is highly unlikely to work properly through the mic input.

I would recommend use of a USB soundcard such as this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-A ... B00HFGPZG6 which in practice I've found to be even better than most build in soundcards on laptops and tablets.
jimh

Postby PalMal » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:32 pm

Wow thanks Jim,
I had visions of having to fork out for a pc but for £19 I will get what you recommend.
Thanks again.
Paul
PalMal

Postby PalMal » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:49 pm

Just a quick update. I managed to purchase a s/h Uniden UBC3500XLT off the bay and I tapped the discrim. As my laptop had no 'line in' I took Jims advice and purchased what he recommended above. I d/loaded DSD+ and within minutes was decoding. It is an absolutely fantastic external soundcard, basically plugged in adjusted a few sound settings in windows control panel and all works a treat. Thanks Jim and thanks to this site and everyone who has contributed here. It helps newcomers like me no end. Cheers to you all :thumbup:
PalMal

Postby jimh » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:15 pm

Thanks Palmal - always nice to get feedback (especially good feedback !)

For best results, I've found running my USB soundcard at 96khz sampling rate is optimal. This is especially true for decoding any DMR simplex/mobile comms. Believe me, I've tried quite a few different decode rates and cards. That's why i recommended the startech: it's one of the few that go to this rate, and it's ideal as it's small and portable. But for 96khz sampling, it can only be used for input [or output], not both at the same time. So I therefore use the on-board soundcard on the laptop (or a little 8inch windows 10 tablet in my case) for the output sound. DSD+ has improved over the years, so maybe the difference isn't as noticeable now as when the early versions emerged. I do recommend investing in DSD+ fastlane though: there are some nice features since v1.090.
jimh

Postby mi0jzz » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:06 pm

hi guys
I tried to set up thru a laptop aswell with no joy same as yous no line in
then I turned to main computer lol I cant even get headphones to work on it
am a disaster, if I purchase that sound card from amazon will it work ok on laptop?
am getting err , no sync , just flying up the black screen , using dsd+ (like 4 small pages)
am not great with this kinda stuff but ill keep trying if pointed in the right direction

chris......mi0jzz
mi0jzz

Postby jimh » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:45 pm

mi0jzz wrote:hi guys
if I purchase that sound card from amazon will it work ok on laptop?

So I assume you are running Windows on your pc/laptop, and have a discriminator tap correctly fitted to your scanner? If so, I see no reason why this soundcard shouldn't work. I've tried several USB soundcards (cheap and not so cheap !) and haven't had many fundamental issues getting them to work: but I've found this one to be the best. This model replaces an older startech USB card, and it too performed very well. I have experienced several problems getting built-in line/microphone soundcards to work, especially on tablet/laptops where they don't often have a proper line-in. You should also check your Windows control panel to make sure your device is using the right soundcard for input and output.
jimh

Postby mi0jzz » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:09 pm

hi jim
scanner is tapped
running a Compaq Presario cq 56
on windows 7 uitimate
what am I looking for in control panel??
sound / playback / speakers with green tick says default device
recording / microphone / red arrow down not plugged in
that's what I see in there
chris
mi0jzz

Postby jimh » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:22 pm

mi0jzz wrote:hi jim
what am I looking for in control panel??
chris

Hi Chris - I was referring to when you add the USB soundcard: you will need to make sure your laptop is defaulting to the new USB soundcard for recording, and not the built-in mic port. The use of the mic as input will also be the reason you are seeing so many errors in DSD+ as per your other post on the forum. I'd recommend you get a USB card, and if you still have issues, pop back and let us know.
jimh

Postby mi0jzz » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:17 am

got the sound card this morning jim
can I have a few setting on the puter
even step by step would be amazing
have messed about a we bit clicking a few things
then putting them back after they don't seem to work

chris
mi0jzz

Next

Return to DMR & Digital Modes