colour code dmr

Forum for DMR, dPMR, NEXEDGE, Mototrbo, MARC, Tetra & all other DIGITAL modes

colour code dmr

Postby everton72 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:39 pm

Has anyone have the colour code and slot number for birkenhead shopwatch please dmr radio
everton72

Re: colour code dmr

Postby moj » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:23 pm

We don't post digital details on this forum for obvious reasons and I think they enhanced encrypted the frequency last time I checked so impossible to listen to sadly ;)
moj

Postby Minus1 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:52 pm

moj wrote:We don't post digital details on this forum for obvious reasons and I think they enhanced encrypted the frequency last time I checked so impossible to listen to sadly ;)

Rubbish. Colour Codes are no different to CTCSS or DCS on analog systems. :rolleyes:
I reserve the right to ignore people who have made no attempt to the read the manual, and expect others to do it for them.
Minus1

Postby moj » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:24 pm

Its not rubbish and especially in the radio of someone unlicenced and not intending to use it for non amateur use , all it takes its leaving the transmit enabled and you can say goodbye to that user soon enough !

and please don't say it doesn't cause any harm cause you know better than anyone that its does in the wrong hands .
moj

Postby G4RMT » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:48 am

Although this forum doesn't actually have any rules that are published, it has them and the mods apply them when they feel it is important - colour codes seem to always generate bad feeling.

My own view is that forums get spidered by Google, so the contents can get used by a wider audience than the general membership. This means that while CTCSS frequencies might be handy, they're not essential for a casual listener because they are a limiter - to stop conversations annoying users, they have no real use to a listener at all. What is the worst illegal result of having a CTCSS tone if you have a transmitter? You can access a repeater system. In general, not really much use because the real users would all hear you and be on your case. They'd be very aware of the 'infiltration'. Digital is different. The colour code can gain you access, but you can use other digital parameters to prevent the other users hearing you. The repeater would happily pass your traffic, and the real users remain unaware of your presence. As a repeater opener and operator, this concerns me. I don't care if anyone listens to my radio traffic - I do care if people start to use it for real. This time of year is a quiet one for me, so my system is largely unused. A few days ago, as an experiment, I put up the frequencies and tones on the forum, and despite being in a rather out of the way area, as I was working in the room where the rack is, I heard people playing with the thing - it kept bursting into life, giving a peep as a return, and although no speech, I heard a few blows into the microphone. If people could get into it with digital signals, apart from a few LEDs flashing, I'd have no idea they were doing it.

That is why I don't personally like digital access information published. There will always be those who care little for the law - I understand that, but business radio was always called 'Private' - the reality was it never really was, but now it can be, it should be. For those who wish to hear what is going on, then with patience, and some programming, trial and error works reasonably well.

The other thing of course is that knowledge often comes from effort, and some people hate their effort being just given away for free. Spending a day or two trying every combination means it's rewarding when enclair audio bursts out. Seeing somebody on the net asking if anyone knows the colour code for that same source puts you in a quandary. Give it away, for a quick thanks (and often not even that), or keep it to yourself?

I really wish the owners of this forum would make a proper decision on this, publicly. Then we could have an end to those disputes. Having a rule that is not public is plainly silly, because both opinions are completely valid.
G4RMT

Postby CW-2E0UCW » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:32 am

Overall, what this forum is about is actually illegal activity based on Ofcom's regulations (see below). However as we all know, if one does not attract attention to themselves or do anything stupid, the law does tend to turn a blind eye. As more users go digital and people start using transceivers instead of scanners for listening to DMR transmissions, it becomes a different game. It's up to the sensible users to ensure that nothing strays into the hands of those that could possibly do something to ruin their hobby. When the CS700 hit the market at a low price, many people were purchasing them just for scanning purposes and thus there is a risk anyone of those people could press the PTT when they shouldn't (and most will possibly not make use of the Rx only function that some manufacturers have). I've had users ask me for details of anything inc London including airport security - why on earth would anyone want to risk messing around with stuff like that? I'd also be putting myself in line for a visit from the local Met. I seldom carry a handheld into the airport despite having an amateur licence and their being a repeater at Heathrow - it attracts the unwanted attention that we don't want.

Taken from http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/enforcement/spectrum-enforcement/guidance

A license is not required to use a radio receiver or scanner as long as it is not capable of transmission. It is not illegal to sell, buy or own a scanner or any other receiver but it should only be used to listen to transmissions meant for general reception.

The services that can be listened to under the definition of general reception are:

licensed broadcasting stations;
1. amateur and citizens' band radio transmissions; and
2. weather and navigation transmissions
3. Radio scanners should not be used to listen to any other radio services, including illegal radio stations (pirates) (by virtue of the fact that they are not licensed radio stations).

Radio scanners should not be used to listen to any other radio services, including illegal radio stations (pirates) (by virtue of the fact that they are not licensed radio stations).
CW-2E0UCW

Postby Metradio » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:28 pm

Well put...

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD.
WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q /UBCD3600XLT / WTR Browser.
Metradio

Postby Minus1 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:48 pm

Too much paranoia here, and too many people who think they have the right to tell other people what to do.
Some of are just here to share information with fellow enthusiasts.
Radio Amateurs may have a distorted view, because this is not a competition.
I reserve the right to ignore people who have made no attempt to the read the manual, and expect others to do it for them.
Minus1

Postby CW-2E0UCW » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:29 pm

Minus1 wrote:Too much paranoia here, and too many people who think they have the right to tell other people what to do.
Some of are just here to share information with fellow enthusiasts.
Radio Amateurs may have a distorted view, because this is not a competition.

Not all radio amateurs are into competitions. And one should rember that being a forum most dont actually know the other members and what they could do with the information. You could be passing on info to someone who has no clue what he/she is doing or has other intentions.

I personally would not share info such as that for airport security. Is that not pushing a boundary? More so that I have no clue who the person is asking for this information. They could have a transceiver and start causing issues which may result in action against others that have usually been left alone by the law to enjoy their hobby.

The saying "rather safe than sorry" comes to mind.
CW-2E0UCW

Postby stanogs68 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:49 pm

thats right with aeroplanes but everything else is fair game i say
stanogs68

Next

Return to DMR & Digital Modes