Kenwood Nexedge Programming

Forum for DMR, dPMR, NEXEDGE, Mototrbo, MARC, Tetra & all other DIGITAL modes

Kenwood Nexedge Programming

Postby G4RMT » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:04 pm

Any experts on Kenwood programming out there? I need to programme some of this and have everything I need, but the they all have analogue channels in them, and the boxes where the digital details are needed are of course all blank. Colour Codes, groups and slots - that you normally see are in data fields that don't seem to make much sense at the moment. Does anyone have a Nexedge with some digital channels that they could let me know what goes in each box.
G4RMT

Re: Kenwood Nexedge Programming

Postby moj » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:28 pm

I have some nexedge radios aswell mate , what do you need to know and what model is it that your trying to program etc ?
moj

Postby jimh » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:18 pm

Likewise, I've quite a bit of experience with Kenwoods and Nexedge in particular.

>Colour Codes, groups and slots
Ummm...that definitely doesn't make sense: This is DMR terminology. The NXDN equivalents are RAN and Groups. Colour Codes and Slots don't exist in the world of NXDN.
jimh

Postby G4RMT » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:05 pm

Ah - makes sense then - there is a field for both those terms. Groups I get but not sure what the RAN is?

My client has 6 NX-320s all programmed as analogue simplex on a hire channel. I had one sitting on the shelf never used, and I have got a few more on the way which he's going to take, but he'd like them all to be reprogrammed as digital. As I only have the one for now, I'm unable to experiment - so just would ideally want one frequency - but two channels. I assumed Nexedge like dPMR had two channels in one split by upper and lower frequency.

Have I got this wrong?
G4RMT

Postby moj » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:24 pm

RAN is similar to ctcss and dcs codes really , so if you don't have the correct ran code it wont allow the audio through . depending on if its being used for simplex radio to radio use or through a repeater system you may need the upper and lower frequency's that your thinking but in simplex mode you won't .

Have you got all the details out of the radio that you want to program up yet and is it there own licenced frequencys ?

and I'm sure jim can jump in and answer any other questions if your still stuck but you shouldn't have any problems ;)
moj

Postby jimh » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:52 pm

Good advice from Moj there......

If the customer just uses these for voice, I would strongly advise using very narrow 6.25khz operation vs 12.5khz narrow. There are some marginal performance gains doing this. Note programming using the KPG software defaults to narrow.

There are several ways of achieving two channels using NXDN....2 Groups/1 RAN is the most common. You could ignore Groups and just assign 2 RANs. The other lesser known/used approach is to use two different frequencies: one 3.125khz above the centre of the licensed frequency, and the other 3.125khz below. This only works if your license is 12.5khz bandwith and you must use very narrow 6.25khz bandwidth when programming. The obvious attraction of this is that you will never have the two channels interfere with each other.

If the radio's have an LCD display, the caller ID feature is a nice personal touch to add as you can assign names/ID tags to each radio.
jimh

Postby moj » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:58 pm

Also I think you can enable the scramble feature to make the communication slightly securer ;)

If you haven't got the cps software I prob can send you a copy aswell if needed and thanks jim as always well explained and more detailed ...
moj

Postby G4RMT » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:15 pm

Great - I get it. Probably just have to wait to set these features up on all, then it will make sense. They're on 449.3125MHz simplex at the moment. They'll be going to 456.3875MHz soon - there's some other users on the lower one he uses now.

There's no data requirement, but the idea of showing who is calling will appeal to him. We've quite a lot of seasonal businesses around here - so heavy use up till just after Christmas, then a lull, and back into action around May.

I'm a green horn with digital, and all my hire kit till now has been Icom and Kenwood apart from one kit of Chinese dPMR kit that goes out a few times. I bought one Kenwood Nexedge, a couple of DMRs handhelds and a dPMR mobile set - but so far none used for anything remotely clever.

Any suggestions for encryption? To be honest, the only reason for maybe considering this is because he does work with vulnerable people, and their personal details are sent over the radios? I'm thinking that the protection from casual listeners just by being digital is probably enough.

Software wise - it's fine, I have it already.
G4RMT

Postby jimh » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:25 pm

>Any suggestions for encryption?
So I caveat this in that it's only based on limited testing, and not necessarily full science. NXDN comes with its own built-in encryption schema (Edit > Encryption in the KPG s/w menu, then enable encryption on a per channel basis in Channel Edit under Page 2): almost 33k different keys. It could be broken by brute force, but good key management would defeat all but the most determined listeners. However, in my experience I've observed some marginal degradation in performance when used on Very Narrow simplex operation. I didn't notice this on Narrow 12.5khz operation in simplex. Odd as in theory Very Narrow (6.25 kHz) should provide better sensitivity by about 3 dB. I'd really need to know more about the environment in which your client is using the radio to better advise if you're more likely to have issues using simplex. Note one aspect of [NXDN] digital is that you're more likely to completely miss calls if range/performance is marginal, vs analogue when you'll get a scratchy/broken call in the same conditions. As you say, simply moving to digital is inherently likely to provide a some degree of privacy.

Guessing at how your client will use the radios, I'd be considering the following. I'm assuming the NX320s have LCD displays.
1. Create a base template data file: 2 Zones (1st NXDN Digital, the 2nd Analogue). The Analogue zone will give you fallback if say the client doesn't like digital voice quality for some reason etc).

2. Zone 1 with two channels DIGITAL CH1: 456.384375 and DIGITAL CH2: 456.390625, both Very Narrow. Pick an arbitrary RAN (don't leave it blank = 0). The 3.125khz offset gives you two independent channels. It also reduces interference from other users centered on 456.3875.

3. Under Edit > NXDN > Unit ID List add all the radio IDs that you need. Under General 1, Under group call display, select Calling TX ID. Add the Unit ID and Unit ID Name (Note both these fields will need to change per radio).

4. On the analogue Zone add CH1: 456.3875 with a CTCSS/DCS tone, and a CH2 with 456.3875 with a different CTCSS/DCS tone.

5. Another feature to consider: Under Edit > Key Assignment > Menu, make sure that CALL is added to the Category List (F3), and that INDIVIDUAL is listed under the Function List (F4). By default, the radio will transmit with a Group Call (you don't necessarily need to set up Groups). By adding this ability to make Individual calls, you can make 1-to-1 Private calls between radios. They obviously won't be heard by other radios on the channel. To select this via the radio keypad, it's MENU > CALL > INDIVIDUAL > Radio ID

Depending on the operation, you can decide if you want to scan both zones, both digital channels, no channels or possibly even both zones and all 4 channels.
jimh

Postby G4RMT » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:14 am

Jim that's brilliant thanks very much. That sounds perfect for what I'm doing so I'll get onto it. No way would I have guessed 10% of that! I'll report back when I've tried it. Cheers!
G4RMT

Return to DMR & Digital Modes