digital programming - Kenwood TK3401D

Forum for DMR, dPMR, NEXEDGE, Mototrbo, MARC, Tetra & all other DIGITAL modes

digital programming - Kenwood TK3401D

Postby tegsy1 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:42 pm

Hi All, when programming a digital radio ie TK 3401d, are there codes that need to be entered as well as the frequency? I only ask as I purchased the software for this radio, all that it allows me to do is enter the frequencies but no codes,is this correct please. Thanks.
tegsy1

Re: digital programming - Kenwood TK3401D

Postby G4RMT » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:00 pm

FM operation requires frequencies and if you want the CTCSS/DCS frequencies, and the digital settings do require some basic information. If you want to post the screen shot of what you see n the software, we can tell you if something is missing?
G4RMT

Postby moj » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:05 pm

It's a dpmr radio so in theory will be no different to the icom dpmr licence free radio which also doesn't allow you to put a colour code into the radio when programming it , they seem to have set settings on the cps !
moj

Postby tegsy1 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:52 am

Thanks for the replies, it seems that the codes are pre programmed into the radio so no worries. :thumbup:
tegsy1

Postby Davie Boy » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:24 pm

moj wrote:It's a dpmr radio so in theory will be no different to the icom dpmr licence free radio which also doesn't allow you to put a colour code into the radio when programming it , they seem to have set settings on the cps !

That is a very odd way for them to do things.... are the colour codes etc. the same on every model that is bought....? If so I can see many problems and if not there are also problems.... if the fixed codes are the same on all models then this means there will be more interference from other users which could have been avoided.... if they are different then this will surely cause compatibility issues with other models and especially when buying an extra pair....?
Davie Boy

Postby G4RMT » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:20 pm

As designed for the licence free band, the usual digital features have been pruned because for short range use on the legal bands, there's not really much point in cleverness. To be honest, I'm surprised they even made them programmable. If you want the clever features, you'd buy licensable version wouldn't you?
G4RMT

Postby Davie Boy » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:02 pm

The only thing that should be set is surely the frequencies....? I mean.... they are set frequencies anyway so why or how should you be able to change them....?

On the other hand CTCSS and colour codes are there for the very one reason of blocking out other users.... so to fix these and not allow them to be selectable seems a ludicrous idea to me and against the very reason those codes were invented in the first place....? Even on cheap argos sets you can select the ctcss and also it is a great marketing tool as you can boast x amount of channel combinations as opposed to 8 on a standard no toned pmr....
Davie Boy

Postby G4RMT » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:45 pm

People usually buy a few radios and talk to each other, and the standard programming seems to allow this. If you want to have more facilities, you'd probably also not want to be in a public band - any amount of tones and groups, zones and access codes doesn't stop the interference wrecking your channel does it?
G4RMT

Return to DMR & Digital Modes