Digital radio scanner

Forum for DMR, dPMR, NEXEDGE, Mototrbo, MARC, Tetra & all other DIGITAL modes

Digital radio scanner

Postby JezUK1 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:35 pm

Hi guys. What are the main benefits of a Digital radio scanner? Can you pic up Digital home phones? I don’t understand as I’m new to the hobby. Thanks
JezUK1

Re: Digital radio scanner

Postby iScottybotty » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:56 pm

Hi,

To be honest, the answers in the question :tongue:

As times and technology moves forward, so does the consumers needs on the ground and my understanding is that Digital, or DMR, and it’s capability of limitising the spectrum with Talk Groups as opposed to individual frequencies per channel outweighs analogue in terms of cost effectiveness and technology, not to mention it’s other features.

You asked about benefits, it’s highly likely that there are Digital users around your area, one benefit is, subject to encryption, you’ll be able to listen in. You can’t do that on analogue my friend.

I guess your asking a question similar to, “what are the benefits of a manual or automatic transmission on my car”... one does what the other one doesn’t.

One thing I will say though is Digital Scanners are NOT plug and play. You can’t for example just get one out the box, switch it on and expect to hear digital transmissions. If that’s what your expecting then it’s not for you, not yet anyway.

Do some research, join some forums, Whistler one for example. See what others are saying whilst at the same time, learn about what it does, and doesn’t do and importantly, what you need to do to get it working.

As for digital telephones, unless the scanner is capable of decoding DECT, I think not.

Good luck.
iScottybotty

Postby Metradio » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:49 pm

iScottybotty wrote:....One thing I will say though is Digital Scanners are NOT plug and play. You can’t for example just get one out the box, switch it on and expect to hear digital transmissions. If that’s what your expecting then it’s not for you, not yet anyway...

The AOR AR-DV1 are and I expect the DV10 will be as well, plug n play.. straight out of the box once connected to power and antenna, dial up a frequency or twiddle the tuning knob till you find something, the modes auto detect and away you go..
They just happen to be the most expensive at £995 - £1200, but are very popular with those who find problems with programming other digital scanners..

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD.
WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q /UBCD3600XLT / WTR Browser.
Metradio

Postby iScottybotty » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:29 pm

That’s really good information, Mike. Thank you.

I assumed Digital Scanners required various code plugs/ zones etc (whistler txi for example).
iScottybotty

Postby Metradio » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:15 pm

iScottybotty wrote:....I assumed Digital Scanners required various code plugs/ zones etc (whistler txi for example).

The Whistler requires some programming, but not to the level of code plugs or zones... Sort of Plug - press half a dozen keys - and Play..
The Uniden 3600, well the less said the better :sad:

Mike
Metradio

Postby m0ssm » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:03 pm

Hi,

having returned my DV-10 to the supplier I'm now in the market for a Digital hand-held Scanner.

Would like to do analogue VHF/UHF air-band and Digital, and be capable of being programmed by PC + S/W... having a look around on the interwebs have kind of narrowed it down to either a Whistler TRX-1 or the Uniden 3600.

Has anyone got experience of using both radios in anger and could maybe advise me?

Thanks and 73

Stu.
M0SSM
m0ssm

Postby Metradio » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:14 pm

Put simply, the 3600 looks better but the TRX1 works better :biggrin:

Mike
Metradio

Postby m0ssm » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:42 pm

Mike, thanks for the reply.

I may take a punt on one then, can't be any worse than the DV-10 can it??!!! :happy:

Looking at the APP I think I will need to get my head around how it programs up as it looks a little different to conventional kit.

Stu.
m0ssm

Postby Metradio » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:46 pm

Before buying - research, research and research...

Mike
Metradio

Postby jimh » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:11 pm

I own both (ok, technically I don't have the 3600 but its American cousin the 436).

In no particular order....
- Both perform well.
- The Uniden is better on analogue as it doesn't suffer from the short delay to opening squelch present on the TRX. Airband much better on the 3600, especially mil air
- TRX probably a little more sensitive, which makes it better on DMR simplex (the latest uniden firmware improved things a lot, but the TRX is better)
- TRX is less selective so it drags in more adjacent crap
- Battery life better on the TRX (4AAs vs 3)
- Despite the size, I find the screen easier to read on the TRX vs the Uniden: most of it is wasted space. But some decoded info on the TRX is unreadable ('not a bug' according to Whistler !!!).
- Recording easier on the TRX (it just works !)
- Searching for new frequencies on the TRX is a bit of a pig: I've owned many many scanners over many many years, and I don't think any of them have been worse than the TRX method/limitations for searching. You can''t select step size, multiple bands, modulation: it's all fixed. And this is meant to be a high-end scanner.
- The TRX EZScan programming software is a bit horrible. You can import data, but you can't export. But import from a spreadsheet has some advantages. Also, it is much more temperamental to program (maybe 1 in 10 writes will fail vs near 0 issues on the Uniden with the same type of SD card)
- Manual programming of the TRX is a right old palava. It's very simple on the Uniden.
- The TRX doesn't trunk track but that's likely to be of limited use in the UK
- Volume is limited on the TRX: its very bad in a noisy environment, and can struggle to drive headphones at high volume level
- You can make you own judgments re price (but as you've just sold a DV10, the you've obviously got loads of cash to spare :-)
- Note you will get firmware updates sooner if you import a 436 vs a 3600 (eg I've had NXDN for months, it's only gone live on the 3600)

In summary, I think if you just need to scan a fixed set of frequencies then I think you will favour the TRX. If you need to search for new frequencies as well as scan then the Uniden will be better: I tend to do as much searching for new frequencies as scanning known ones...so the Uniden is my preferred unit, and the TRX is my secondary scanner/recorder. Given the choice of buying x2 Unidens, x2 TRX's or staying with one of each I'd still chose to have one of each....both have pro's and cons. I am not unhappy with either.

These are just my views based on my experiences....I'm sure others will [rightly] have different experiences, and draw different conclusions.

HTH, and ask questions if that helps further.

Jim
jimh

Next

Return to DMR & Digital Modes