Baofeng Digital Compatibility

Forum for DMR, dPMR, NEXEDGE, Mototrbo, MARC, Tetra & all other DIGITAL modes

Baofeng Digital Compatibility

Postby G4RMT » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:45 pm

It's been quite a while now since we had the first Baofeng digital radios. Has anyone got any updated information on Baofeng's particular type of DMR - relating to working happily with others. I had a comment on one of my videos about The Retevis D900 and the Baofeng DM-5R. He asked if they would work together. All the stuff I found said no, but a few said yes - so I programmed two up. I tried all the variations of simplex and duplex - hoping that the Tier I and II issues often talked about would have resolved - as the 2 DM-5Rs I have here are original version and one brand new one received just a few weeks ago and stuck on the shelf.

None of the variations I put into them enabled them to talk to each other - cc/slots and encryption levels - nothing worked, but when I listened on an analogue radio, it became quite clear. The Retevis makes the usual pulsing digital noise, but the Baofeng is a continuous data stream - they sound totally different so no wonder they don't work nicely together.

Has anyone ever managed to receive Baofeng's version of DMR on anything other than another Baofeng. It's gone very quiet on them. What exactly are people using the Baofengs for - they seem to be totally incompatible with everything else - or are they?
G4RMT

Re: Baofeng Digital Compatibility

Postby Mrwoosh » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:02 pm

I have 2 dm5r radios both can talk to my MOTOTRBO Motorola SL1600 and also my tyt 2017 , the only problem with the dm5r is it transmits on both time slots at the same time so their no good for repeater work , maybe play with your call setting on the rx and tx radios

The only baofeng that is working correctly for repeater use is the new 5rd model which is basically a radioddity gd77 in a baofeng case
Mrwoosh

Postby G4RMT » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:44 pm

Thanks for that - but I'm having no luck with any of my digital radios - Radiodity, TYT and Retevis won't receive the Baofeng at all - very odd, and it doesn't seem to be remotely the same type of output - one slot, the other or both. If your Motorola can receive it, then I must have missed something?
G4RMT

Postby Mrwoosh » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:15 pm

G4RMT wrote:Thanks for that - but I'm having no luck with any of my digital radios - Radiodity, TYT and Retevis won't receive the Baofeng at all - very odd, and it doesn't seem to be remotely the same type of output - one slot, the other or both. If your Motorola can receive it, then I must have missed something?

All I can say is check your contacts and all calls maybe my dm5r+ are newer or older serial number on mine EU201601122**
DM5RA1560
Mrwoosh

Return to DMR & Digital Modes