DMR Vs Zello?

Forum for DMR, dPMR, NEXEDGE, Mototrbo, MARC, Tetra & all other DIGITAL modes

DMR Vs Zello?

Postby Sid » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:54 pm

Serious question.

What are the benefits of DMR when you can simply use Zello / IRN on either a mobile phone or dedicated PTT internet radio? DMR is internet reliant is it not?
I have an Inrico T320 and have been listening a lot lately using Zello.. There are a lot of Hams using it, and those that are not, appear to try as best they can at using ham etiquette.
That aside, most channels have moderators, so if someone is being a plonka - they are simply bounced off the channel and banned.

What are your thoughts on this?
Sid

Re: DMR Vs Zello?

Postby thelad » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:33 pm

DMR is internet reliant
really :sneer:
thelad

Postby CW-2E0UCW » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:36 pm

Both DMR and Zello (as well as Echolink & Team Speak which all work on Network Radios) can be used via the same data streams - mobile or wi-fi.
DMR hotspots require a little power (via a powerbank or other usb connection with power) and a connection to a mobile hotspot or home wi-fi and work just as well.
There are seldom any issues on DMR - ID's can be blocked however there's not been a need to in quiet some time.
Both have guidelines - on DMR there is a calling channel and various channels to move to in order to continue the qso without blocking numerous repeaters.
CW-2E0UCW

Postby Sid » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:02 pm

thelad wrote:
DMR is internet reliant

Instead of sneering, why not try to explain?
That's how people learn - I'm sure you had to learn once??

Also, did you not notice the question mark at the end of that comment?
Last edited by Sid on Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sid

Postby Sid » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:03 pm

CW-2E0UCW wrote:Both DMR and Zello (as well as Echolink & Team Speak which all work on Network Radios) can be used via the same data streams - mobile or wi-fi.
DMR hotspots require a little power (via a powerbank or other usb connection with power) and a connection to a mobile hotspot or home wi-fi and work just as well.
There are seldom any issues on DMR - ID's can be blocked however there's not been a need to in quiet some time.
Both have guidelines - on DMR there is a calling channel and various channels to move to in order to continue the qso without blocking numerous repeaters.

Thank you.
That makes a bit more sense....... :thumbup:
Sid

Postby CW-2E0UCW » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:35 pm

I run a Jumbospot - one at home and one for portable/mobile use via a mobile hotspot.
I have a decent size powerbank for the hotspot if out portable and outside repeater range.
Using a Network Radio you can do the same - either get a data SIM or via mobile hotspot.
CW-2E0UCW

Postby m0lsx » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:22 am

Sid wrote:
thelad wrote:
DMR is internet reliant

Instead of sneering, why not try to explain?

Zello is an app, not a radio mode. It is more like Skype than Echolink which needs a basic FM radio to use.
DMR = Digital mobile radio, an open source digital mode that has three tiers, one of which is trunked & which uses a 2 slot 6.25khz bandwidth.

Wiki says Tier 1 DMR is for licence free products. ie. 446 mhz etc.
Tier 2 covers licenced conventional radios & tier 3 covers trunking operation & supports voice and short messaging handling similar to TETRA with built-in 128 character status messaging and short messaging with up to 288 bits of data in a variety of formats. It also supports packet data service in a variety of formats.
So in a way DMR is more like FM, than a mobile phone app system such as Zello. As it can be used via the internet, but it can & often is used as a simplex or duplex mode.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby brian-w » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:23 am

With DMR (or analogue FM) it's possible to operate direct radio to radio (simplex). radio to repeater (in local mode) without being reliant on internet connectivity or wi-fi.

I don't have one, but I don't think that internet radio's can offer that sort of facility without reliance on the internet and associated apps.
brian-w

Postby bigboyblue » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:12 am

And the latest DMR radios are allowing / adding the best of both worlds - network (zello etc) radios have the advantage of working anywhere they can get a 3/4g data signal. Whereas DMR usually needs your installed infrastructure of repeaters etc to work. An expensive way to go if you want a large area of coverage.

However, network radios have the current disadvantage of the above - you cant control the network outside your handset. So, if theres no data, the local mobile phone tower has a problem, or if you are at a large event where 30k people are trying to upload their pictures to faceache, the one local tower is going to have an issue. Same as mentioned above, the back end processing - you rely on someone elses servers and infrastructure to make your radio work. A power issue at zellos servers somewhere in the world means your radios wont work next to each other. Same as internet issues somewhere else, or a cyber attack slowing down the entire network.

DMR for small deployments means you simply need radio to radio, nothing else. Want a bit more coverage, then its more cash for repeater, tall building or hill, tower, power supply, licence etc. Its not cheap, but its your kit to make what you want of it, and you get the advantage of knowing the state and age of everything connected to your system. You also have total control over the use of the repeaters, and you guarantee the ability to use the radio.

I met over the weekend some 4x4 groups that are deploying network radio down south to their members, after using ham radio before. Its meant they can deploy a radio 'system' for not much money - yes theres about a tenner a month In sim card / data charges, but it means the entire of their area can be covered by comms. They are aware of the limitations, know the pitfalls and advantages, and even means they can have someone anywhere in the world as their controller.
bigboyblue

Postby m0lsx » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:19 am

brian-w wrote: I don't have one, but I don't think that internet radio's can offer that sort of facility without reliance on the internet and associated apps.

I have a handheld, that has UHF FM, as well as the mobile phone side with a sim card & the appropriate app (Zello,) downloaded. So I can operate it on either, using just one unit. But they are separate entities.
It is possible to gain access to internet radio via an FM or digital radio. But they require an internet connected node (repeater.) Capable of doing the connection for them.
The mobile phone side of my radio is also capable of APRS & Echolink via apps. The FM side is capable of also accessing Echolink, but only via an appropriately connected repeater.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Next

Return to DMR & Digital Modes