Can't get any digital decoding with DSDplus

Forum for DMR, dPMR, NEXEDGE, Mototrbo, MARC, Tetra & all other DIGITAL modes

Can't get any digital decoding with DSDplus

Postby StandingWave » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:54 pm

I'm having a difficult time trying to get any kind of digital decoding using DSDplus.

I am using SDRuno version 1.31 and tuning into the local ham repeater which is both DMR and NXDN enabled on its 'receive' address on 145.600.000. SDRuno is set to send its output to the virtual cable input. I am using DSD+ 1.101pt.

I get the best signal using the FM dipole antenna in the loft, but no decoding (one day I will get a discone!).

I have been able to decode DRM broadcast stations with Dream so I know that the virtual cable is working OK. I would attach a screenshot. Starting DSDplus is also straightforward with:

Code: Select all
dsdplus.exe -i1

where #1 is the virtual cable output device. The audio output is automatically detected.
I am getting no decoding whatsoever.

I would attach a screenshot, but unfortunately can't see a way of doing that on this forum.
StandingWave

Re: Can't get any digital decoding with DSDplus

Postby StandingWave » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:54 am

Did finally manage to get it working, but you have to set DEEM to OFF on the SDRuno Ex Control panel. More info in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6712
StandingWave

Postby deadite66 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:35 pm

the new fastlane release now has sdrplay support. :)

FMPP 1.0

DSD+ compatible SDR software for SDRPlay RSP2 receivers.
Other SDRPlay receivers are not supported, but some functionality may be possible.
SDRplay RSP1A on a Marine tuned dipole (Rocket Radio MARI-1)
24/7 Marine recording with RTLSDR_Airband
Airspy R2 on a Discone
SDRPlay RSP2 Pro on a homebrew UHF dipole
Yupiteru MVT-9000 MKII telescopic ant.
deadite66

Postby StandingWave » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:59 pm

Thanks for that bit of information. If I can get a copy I will certainly give it a try. The version I have (1.101) seems to be from 2015, so a few years old now. And there have been no new releases and it looks like it has been abandoned. There is something called FMPA2.7 which is a bit later from 2016 but I haver no idea what that is? It seems that the Fast Lane Program started in November 2018, yet there are still no new releases? Since there doesn’t seem to be anything happening, I don’t see the point of signing up to it. What is FMPP 1.0 that you mention? I take it that it is related to FMPA and DSDplus somehow? Is it the same thing under a different name or developer? Where do I get it from? I can’t seem to find it anywhere?
Last edited by StandingWave on Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StandingWave

Postby rozbiff » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:08 pm

StandingWave wrote:Thanks for that bit of information. If I can get a copy I will certainly give it a try. The version I have (1.101) seems to be from 2015, so a few years old now. According to their site, they were supposed to be releasing a version every 6 months so i guess they are no longer working on it or updating it. There is something called FMPA2.7 which is a bit later from 2016 but I haver no idea what that is. What is FMPP 1.0? Is it related to FMPA and DSDplus somehow? Where do I get it from? I can’t seem to find it anywhere?

DSD+ is still being developed and new releases are issued....subscribe to the Fastlane version for those (you'll get access to SDRplay RSP1A support and the like...in fact it works with other SDRplay devices even though they specify the RSP1A due to that being the one they had access to)...it's not expensive....or else keep using the more limited free version and hope they decide to update that for the freeloaders eventually.

FMP is for controlling rtl devices...FMPA specifically for Airspy variants. Far more efficient than using things like sdruno or sdr#it when using DSD+ or using the rtl device as a scanner.
rozbiff

Postby StandingWave » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:40 pm

Ah, Ok, so you are saying that for the last 4 years they have offered no updates except through the fast lane program? The website appears to indicate that they would be offering a release every 6 months. It might have helped if the website had been a little clearer in its explanation and listed the names for various hardware-specific versions and their purpose. The change in version numbers from 1.5 to 1.101 was confusing enough. A clear history of the development of the product and where it is heading might have avoided so much confusion. As it is, I would like to thank you for your kind explanation.

Although I’m not sure I like this kind of fragmentation, I can understand how using DSD+ directly with hardware would be more efficient. Of course, the exact frequency to tune would need to be identified beforehand and one cannot easily switch between frequencies as one can on a waterfall, but I guess one could have different scripts for each repeater or service. Still, if one is running it on a Pi or something, it makes sense to avoid the overhead of a GUI. I do hope that the original concept of working with a GUI via virtual cable is still being retained though. One still needs some means of searching for signals, testing they are decodable and identifying the exact or optimum frequency setting.

I guess I can also appreciate the authors wanting to raise cash for hardware to test with. Since you now confirm that updates are still being developed I don’t mind subscribing, but it the website does rather give the impression of development being pretty much inactive. Well, at least I now have your assurance that is not the case! :smiles:
StandingWave

Postby rozbiff » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:11 am

StandingWave wrote:Ah, Ok, so you are saying that for the last 4 years they have offered no updates except through the fast lane program? The website appears to indicate that they would be offering a release every 6 months. It might have helped if the website had been a little clearer in its explanation and listed the names for various hardware-specific versions and their purpose. The change in version numbers from 1.5 to 1.101 was confusing enough. A clear history of the development of the product and where it is heading might have avoided so much confusion. As it is, I would like to thank you for your kind explanation.

Although I’m not sure I like this kind of fragmentation, I can understand how using DSD+ directly with hardware would be more efficient. Of course, the exact frequency to tune would need to be identified beforehand and one cannot easily switch between frequencies as one can on a waterfall, but I guess one could have different scripts for each repeater or service. Still, if one is running it on a Pi or something, it makes sense to avoid the overhead of a GUI. I do hope that the original concept of working with a GUI via virtual cable is still being retained though. One still needs some means of searching for signals, testing they are decodable and identifying the exact or optimum frequency setting.

I guess I can also appreciate the authors wanting to raise cash for hardware to test with. Since you now confirm that updates are still being developed I don’t mind subscribing, but it the website does rather give the impression of development being pretty much inactive. Well, at least I now have your assurance that is not the case! :smiles:

I'm saying that the small team behind DSD+ Fastlane continue to develop the software and issue updates (not to some fixed schedule that might have been considered in a rash moment of web authoring). I don't look at the website so have no idea about that....from your commentary it seems in need of an update. I'd rather they concentrated on the software not a website ;)

Version numbers are certainly confusing but not within the fastlane branch. Several years ago it seemed that there were going to be quite a few branches but Fastlane seems to be the only one that remains actively being developed.

Fragmentation? Lost me there. FMP can be used as standalone software...as a simple front-end for rtl devices (including the more expensive Airspy/SDRplay variants)...limited GUI, autotuning, scanning etc all possible along with audio transport that doesn't require VAC/VBCable. Hasn't got the fancy looking design of sdruno or slick interface like like sdrconsole....but it does the job it needs to do without bells and whistles. DSD+Fastlane can be used with various audio sources. Powerful individually but even more so when used together

As for whether you as an idividual 'like' something....well, you make your own choices and that is a good thing. If you think Fastlane is doing something wrong, going down a route that you think is a dead-end or whatever then get directly involved rather than sit on the sidelines with the entitled sheeple. Develop your own alternative / join the team / do something constructive
rozbiff

Postby StandingWave » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:09 pm

rozbiff wrote:I'm saying that the small team behind DSD+ Fastlane continue to develop the software and issue updates (not to some fixed schedule that might have been considered in a rash moment of web authoring). I don't look at the website so have no idea about that....from your commentary it seems in need of an update. I'd rather they concentrated on the software not a website

I tend to agree that the product (software) is the most important thing, but the website is also important. It is the "shop window", the place people go to get more information about the product, to learn more about it and to decide whether to acquire it. The website has to "sell" the product and has a huge impact on how the product is perceived.

rozbiff wrote:Fragmentation? Lost me there. FMP can be used as standalone software...as a simple front-end for rtl devices (including the more expensive Airspy/SDRplay variants)...limited GUI, autotuning, scanning etc all possible along with audio transport that doesn't require VAC/VBCable.

Perhaps I chose the wrong expression, but basically I was confused by the different versions of the same program under different names? Is it called DSDplus, FMPA or FMPP or something else now? DSDplus seems to be the name that is most recognizable so why change it and use completely different acronyms? On the other hand, I do appreciate the new developments as they give the user a choice of how to use it and there are advantages and disadvantages with each scenario.

rozbiff wrote:As for whether you as an idividual 'like' something....well, you make your own choices and that is a good thing. If you think Fastlane is doing something wrong, going down a route that you think is a dead-end or whatever then get directly involved rather than sit on the sidelines with the entitled sheeple. Develop your own alternative / join the team / do something constructive

Well I didn't think I was doing anything wrong or feeling "entitled" by merely voicing an opinion? I also never said that there was anything wrong with the Fastlane approach. True, I am rather confused by the various acronyms being used, but to the contrary, I did say that I understood the developers desire to raise funds for hardware to work with. In fact, in support of that I have already joined the Fast Lane Program and am waiting for the initial update to arrive. :thumbup:
StandingWave

Postby StandingWave » Wed May 01, 2019 2:08 pm

I have received my update and it turned out that this was required to decode the repeater GB3CF at Markfield. The encoding is Fusion rather then DMR or NXDN and it seems that DSDplus 1.101 does not support Fusion decoding. Evidently Fusion was added sometime after this version was released and DSD+ 2.169 decodes the output from this receiver just fine.
StandingWave

Postby deadite66 » Wed May 01, 2019 5:15 pm

i've got 2 NXDN48 channels near me and 1.101 couldn't decode them but fastlane can.
SDRplay RSP1A on a Marine tuned dipole (Rocket Radio MARI-1)
24/7 Marine recording with RTLSDR_Airband
Airspy R2 on a Discone
SDRPlay RSP2 Pro on a homebrew UHF dipole
Yupiteru MVT-9000 MKII telescopic ant.
deadite66

Return to DMR & Digital Modes