How does DMR range work.....?

Forum for DMR, dPMR, NEXEDGE, Mototrbo, MARC, Tetra & all other DIGITAL modes

How does DMR range work.....?

Postby USAFE501 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:59 pm

Hi everyone,
Another question for you , I'm based in North Hertfordshire (just a couple of miles from Luton) and currently have a DMR user ON 165.0375mhz - truck drivers of some sort and most days I hear drivers talking back to Base saying "..Just pulling out of Tilbury Docks..."

Now that is quite some distance, so how come the signal is so strong ? Tilbury is quite a distance from me and there are definitely dmr users much closer that I struggle or can't hear ? :huh: :huh:

As always, thankyou in advance,

USAFE501 :thumbup: :thumbup:
USAFE501

Re: How does DMR range work.....?

Postby bigboyblue » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:09 pm

Could be an IP linked system. Motorola mototrbo repeaters have the ability to link together in a network 'out of the box', as long as both ends has a network / internet connection.

You could even use a 3g / 4g router on one end, only the master repeater has to have a static IP address. In theory, you could put 'local' repeaters anywhere in the world, and link them via IP.

Or, the repeater is in a really good location on top of a large hill, and you are getting its benefit.
bigboyblue

Postby thelad » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:14 pm

Got a VHF Moto IP system near me and it booms out for miles over all the valleys.
thelad

Postby USAFE501 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:22 pm

Evening,
Thanks for the replies and Big Boy Blue for explanation , makes sense.

I love that i've had my Whistler TRX-1 since they first arrived in the UK and I'm still discovering the "quirks" of DMR

Thanks again for the quick responses, :thumbup: :thumbup:

USAFE501 :happy:
USAFE501

Postby Minus1 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:32 am

Just because the mobile is at Tilbury doesn't mean the base station is.
There's one at Epping Green TL292067 about 6km SSW of Hertford, 120m ASL.
I reserve the right to ignore people who have made no attempt to the read the manual, and expect others to do it for them.
Minus1

Postby USAFE501 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:52 pm

Minus 1
Thanks for that info , that makes more sense as Epping Green not too far from me (used to be one of the aerial sites for me when I was with Herts Fire , old low band vhf days !!!)
Do you know if the OFCOM site shows base stations and type of user e.g DMR ?

Thanks again,
USAFE501 :thumbup:
USAFE501

Postby Minus1 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:55 am

Well it shows some weird alphanumeric code, but nobody has those codes in their heads, and last time I tried to figure it out, it did not seem worth the effort. :rolleyes:
I reserve the right to ignore people who have made no attempt to the read the manual, and expect others to do it for them.
Minus1

Postby USAFE501 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:30 am

Hi Minus 1 and the gang....
Regarding DMR repeaters, do they behave similar to old analogue repeaters eg 165mhz VHF with farmers , delivery drivers etc with sometimes real poor signals !!
So ;

1. Currently listening to 165.0375 dmr repeater , is there still an input + or - a few mhz with CC and slots to match instead of ctcss/dcs ?
2. The analogue repeaters allowed users to talk for set amount of time before user had to re-key the mic , is this the same for DMR ? The above DMR repeater seems to be on for much longer and i've never heard the same user having to stop and start again ?
3. Just heard tipper driver ask colleague to change to channel 2 , however he appeared on same freq with same CC and slot ?? :huh:

I'm really sorry :sad: if the above are really basic questions , but as you know i really appreciate all of the replies and for me its a learning curve on DMR even after being a keen radio/scanner bod for lots of years !!! :dizzy: :dizzy:

Thanks in anticipation,
USAFE 501 :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
USAFE501

Postby thelad » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:30 pm

"Change channel" will just be another Talkgroup, most likely a private one.
thelad

Postby USAFE501 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:41 pm

The Lad,
Thanks for reply- My WHISTLER TRX-1 Handheld shows CC , Slot, Talkgroup and Radio ID , but the user "changed channel" and spoke for just a few seconds and I missed it !
I think I will keep an eye on that and hopefully recognise the same voices to see if anything changes with their Talkgroups.

As you know , appreciate the reply and of course the explanation.... :thumbup:
...Have a good weekend

USAFE 501 :wave:
USAFE501

Next

Return to DMR & Digital Modes