Recommendations please for DMR.....

Forum for DMR, dPMR, NEXEDGE, Mototrbo, MARC, Tetra & all other DIGITAL modes

Recommendations please for DMR.....

Postby USAFE501 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:03 pm

Good afternoon , hope those with nice weather are enjoying it.

So, currently have a Whistler TRX-1 handheld for DMR and general listening and a Commercial type DMR handheld UHF (Connect Systems) that I program via pc for known/current DMR users locally to me , cheap and cheerful for everyday use of established users.
Now looking for similar for VHF or dual band if price is right - again usage will be recently found vhf repeaters in my area that are unlikely to change too soon eg breakdown company looking after few of the big motorways.
Looks not important , and even happy if you have to program it via pc only (hence established dmr users) and as previously mentioned , dual band if price ok..under £100 ??

Let me know , guess most importance is decent sensitivity of the radio...AND, radio will be receive only , NO transmit will be taking place :walkietalkie: :walkietalkie:

Look forward to seeing what you guys think - I imagine the Chinese built will be paying a visit to the list !!!...that's fine by me :wink:

Thanks,
USAFE 501 :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
USAFE501

Re: Recommendations please for DMR.....

Postby Metradio » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:09 pm

Anytone 868 or 878..

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD.
WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q /UBCD3600XLT / WTR Browser.
Metradio

Postby thelad » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:25 pm

Yep could get the 868 for £130. Worth the dosh.
thelad

Postby USAFE501 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:03 pm

Hi Mike and thelad,
Thanks for quick reply - Yep thought might get the 868 mentioned....any views/comments on what Baofeng has to offer ?

Thanks
USAFE501 :thumbup:
USAFE501

Postby USAFE501 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:36 pm

Metradio Mike,
See you have some Connect Systems DMR - I got mine from Chris at Taylor made RF in Elstree before he moved to Moonraker , do you happen to know if he took Taylor Made with him ? Or do you know of a UK supplier ?
My earlier question on a suitable radio for DMR listening on VHF was prompted by the fact I have a Connect DMR uhf - If I could get hold of a Vhf handheld then perfect as I already have pc cable, software and chargers/spare batteries

Thanks
USAFE 501
USAFE501

Postby CW-2E0UCW » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:50 pm

According to the Connect Systems website, the only 2 vendors in the UK are longer in business.

Your best bet is to check the likes of eBay as the CS750 range replaced the CD700 range but was over priced compared to newer products.
CW-2E0UCW

Postby USAFE501 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:51 pm

CW-2EOUCW
Really appreciate the update, thought things had gone quiet with Connect - as suggested will try e-bay , gumtree etc

Thanks again,
USAFE501 :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
USAFE501

Postby rozbiff » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:35 am

USAFE501 wrote:...... - If I could get hold of a Vhf handheld then perfect as I already have pc cable, software and chargers/spare batteries

The Anytone 868 comes with cable and charger...software is free download. Battery life seems good. Another plus compared to some radios is that it has a huge memory.
rozbiff

Postby USAFE501 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:40 pm

Evening everyone,
Many thanks for the replies and comments - you guys are invaluable when it comes to information and advice , even when I have been into scanning/receiving for quite a while proof you can teach an old dog new tricks !!!! :laughs: :laughs:

So, regarding my original post , it looks like the Anytone 868 is the favourite , not too expensive as it really will be the radio that I can keep with me in the car and listen to a few regular vhf and uhf DMR repaters and users - My Whistler TRX 1 is the main radio for finding those new users.
One quick question , I know it is codeplug based , but if I'm out and about and find a DMR user on the Whistler , can I enter this from the keypad on the Anytone ? or is it only via the PC at home ?

Appreciate you taking time to read and if possible comment,

USAFE 501 :thumbup: :thumbup:
USAFE501

Postby CW-2E0UCW » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:28 pm

You can enter VFO mode on the Anytone via a programmable button [and you can program most of the radio functions via the radio].

I have done this several times whilst out with a list of frequencies to try.
CW-2E0UCW

Next

Return to DMR & Digital Modes