Yupiteru 7100 not scanning

Everything Ham Radio in here, Frequencies, Equipment, Repairs, Mods, Licensing and More

Yupiteru 7100 not scanning

Postby Awkgreen » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:30 pm

I recently decided to blow the cobwebs off my 7100 scanner having not used it for about eight years.i replaced the batteries with new ones and turned it on.The last frequency is in the window but it won't scan,there's no change when the squelch is turned full on,or full off,and the battery light blinks even though the batteries are charged.So Im hoping someone can get me scanning again.
Awkgreen

Re: Yupiteru 7100 not scanning

Postby Chris P » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:17 am

have you reprogrammed the memories if the scan banks are empty you will need some programmed in before it scans. the memories may have been emptied as the backup "battery" has discharged

to start a scan you must first press the bank number and then scan eg to scan bank 1 ,press 1 SCAN to scan more than 1 press each bank number and then SCAN eg 1246 SCAN

If all else fails try the reset button and reprogram some memories
Regards Chris aka G8FFF nipper or tazmin88
Chris P

Postby Minus1 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:59 am

Is the "last frequency" 144.0 ?
If so I have the same problem. Not found any solution. :sad:
I reserve the right to ignore people who have made no attempt to the read the manual, and expect others to do it for them.
Minus1

Postby Awkgreen » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:57 pm

It won't let me do anything at all,it's not responding to any button that are pressed. Minus1 has the same problem,and the same frequency in the window which is 144.for some unknown reason it's frozen.The reset button doesn't change anything.Surely somebody has had the self same issue and found a cure .regards
Awkgreen

Postby m0lsx » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:09 pm

I do not if this will help.. I knew I had read something about this..Or was sure I had..

http://www.hfaero.com/?page_id=450

When the receiver arrived it appeared in reasonable condition, the case was not well worn, the perspex screen cover was unscratched and all the knobs were in place. I connected it to the AC adapter that came with it and she fired up immediately to the “Clear” messge indicating that it had been reset and then settle on 144.00MHz and FM mode. So I programmed a couple of AM airband memories and reception was good with the homebrew external antenna and with the supplied telescopic antenna. I was starting to feel warm and fuzzy about my purchase and ventured to disconnect power and insert some alkaline batteries. Cool, that worked OK but the memories were lost and the receiver reset itself.

I left the power connected overnight and and repeated the process in the morning this time with no adverse reset. So for the next few days I added some more memories and replaced the alkalines with NiMh batteries. I then took it out to a local airport for the day and she worked very well, the only problem I’ve found is a slightly noisy volume pot when adjusting the volume but once I’ve stopped twiddling with the knob it’s fine.

I left the power connected overnight and and repeated the process in the morning this time with no adverse reset. So for the next few days I added some more memories and replaced the alkalines with NiMh batteries. I then took it out to a local airport for the day and she worked very well, the only problem I’ve found is a slightly noisy volume pot when adjusting the volume but once I’ve stopped twiddling with the knob it’s fine.

However, when I got home that day and turned the receiver on it appeared dead! Oh no! I tried removing the batteries and replacing with the AC adapter and in doing so accidentally squeezed the case and she sparked into life again. I squeezed the case again, turning off and on and sure enough she went dead and resurrected herself a couple of times until I decided that there was something happening on the inside.

I spent the next couple of evening stripping the whole receiver down and cleaning the boards, connector pins and knobs, reassembled it and I’ve had no problems in the last week or so.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby rm09 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:04 pm

I had some very weird symptoms with one of mine . Really slow scanning speed, ticking noise when scanning, and that's when it scanned at all, etc. I found that simply opening up the case and lifting away the circuit board then reseating it and putting back together cured this . So it may not need anything more than five minutes of work . Give it a try, nothing to lose.
rm09

Return to Amateur Radio