Math Mark MML Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum Handhelds

Everything Ham Radio in here, Frequencies, Equipment, Repairs, Mods, Licensing and More

Re: Math Mark MML Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum Handheld

Postby m0lsx » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:00 am

2E0AIV wrote:I have never heard a digital qso where the amateur does not give his callsign anyway at the start, every 15 mins and at the end of the transmission as per the licence conditions.

The licence conditions do specify state that callsigns should also be given when you leave & when you start on a frequency, so regardless of how many seconds are spent on a frequency, these radios CANNOT be used legally.

2E0AIV wrote: However, 2m analogue and our city repeater is plagued with inconsiderate operators keying up the repeater and tx on 2m calling channel with illegal keyups (silent) or pipping up the repeater continually.

GB3NB is my local repeater, I live not far from the airport & I hear use to hear no conduct from the dead keyers that is any worse than I head from some of those who condemned them..
I stopped using the repeater several years ago & even removed the 145.625 from the scanner about 2 years ago, as the conduct of far too many users was poor to the extent that it frustrated me, so rather than listen & get annoyed at the idiots, I stopped listening..
Typical examples..
Two users not bothering with callsigns, but feeling comfortable condemning someone keying up the repeater as they tried to use it without abiding by the rules themselves..
Someone who lives halfway between me & the repeater who knocks out most of two meters for me.I can access the repeater from here on less than 2 watts using a handheld inside the house. This idiot uses a colinear, lives closer to the repeater & around a mile from me & runs 50 watts plus as standard & probably knocks out numerous other amateurs, due to their poor conduct.
Two individuals chatting about the music being played by one of them. This was not music in the background but so loud & clear it was as readable as the operators voice..That is a clear breech of both performing rights & a VERY clear breech of the no broadcasting condition of the amateur radio licence.
I could go on, but to be perfectly honest, I don't care. Nor do I feel that those who key up, or cause other forms of nuisance to other users, should be considered to be the ONLY problems on repeaters, as like litter & other forms of anti social behaviour. Keep an area clean, tidy & free of poor influences & those who drop litter, paint graffiti & key up mikes etc will not feel at home.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby 2E0AIV » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:37 pm

Hi Alan

If you give your callsign on calling even on spread spectrum your are complying with your licence condition - but as i have said in a previous post "I defend your right to have an opposite opinion" - So we will never agree on that? But thats what forums are for opinions not facts, most of what is said should be verified by yourself independently, before being taken as fact. lol

As for GB3 Nora Battey - i have been licenced for 19 years now, so i have had my share of numpties and witnessed bad and inconsiderate operating procedures, but like train spotting, stamp collecting or any other hobby will always attract the sad and lonely wannabee's and unfortunately there are numerous in our hobby. But that will never change. Like you i rarely use Nora Battie which got a bad press due to the aforementioned sad and lonely loosers.

I like you do not monitor it when i venture out of the countryside to the big city, as if you dont listen to it, then it cant annoy you can it. Like many repeater systems up and down the country that have over the years seen abuse, I dont know why we should think that our local repeater would be any different as i believe that each county has its fair share of Ham looney's lol
2E0AIV

Postby m0lsx » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:07 pm

2E0AIV wrote: If you give your callsign on calling even on spread spectrum your are complying with your licence condition - but as i have said in a previous post "I defend your right to have an opposite opinion" - So we will never agree on that? But thats what forums are for opinions not facts, most of what is said should be verified by yourself independently, before being taken as fact. lol

Take a look at..https://services.ofcom.org.uk/amateur-terms.pdf

Go to page 7 Section 13..

13(1) The Licensee, or, if this Licence is a Full Licence, then any other authorised person
who uses the Radio Equipment, shall transmit the Callsign specified in Section 1 of this
Licence and any Modifier applicable under the provisions of this Licence:
(a) during initial calls (“CQ” calls) or calls to establish contact with another Amateur;
(b) at least once every 15 minutes when the period of communication is longer than 15
minutes;
(c) whenever the frequency of transmission is changed, at the beginning of
transmission on the new frequency;

(d) by the same type of transmission that is being used for the communication;
(e) on the same frequency that is being used for the communication.

How can 13:1 (c) or 13:1 (e) be met if the frequency is constantly changing, unless the callsign is given by the operator on EACH frequency change??
Also to meet 13:1(d) the callsign needs to be given in the same mode, as the voice transmissions & not as a digital add on by the radio. Yes, we/I do need to accept that this is simply more evidence that regulations are not keeping up with technology. But the fact remains that until such times as the rules catch up, then it is a breech of licensing rules as they exist now.
HOWEVER. Given the general conduct of some who operate on 2 FM. Any is it legal (or not) debate is pretty much only a hypothetical one. As the conduct of too many is so clearly outside of the rules, that debates about grey areas are, (or should be,) well down our list of issues that should concern us.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby 2E0AIV » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:11 pm

I agree Alan that it is really immaterial these days, I think the fact remains that nobody police's the Ham bands now that the licences are free, not cost effective for offcom,unless someone makes an official complaint to offcom and provides the evidence (check the figures for prosecutions in the last 10years, they have dwindled away to zero) - having been in the legal profession all my life, it is all about interpretation. So with that in mind if an OFFCOM representative says its ok, then thats good enough for me. Radio has for me always been a hobby and i do it for fun, I avoid the politics involved, I find the inter-politics of Ham radio boring and have no real interest in it. As long as I comply with the terms of my licence and can justify my actions accordingly then i am a happy bunny, and life is too short to worry about any numpties keying up repeaters, playing music and swearing over the air, What ever turns them on! :rolleyes:
2E0AIV

Previous

Return to Amateur Radio