Chertsey Radio club testing new DMR hand held

Everything Ham Radio in here, Frequencies, Equipment, Repairs, Mods, Licensing and More

Re: Chertsey Radio club testing new DMR hand held

Postby SilverShadow » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:45 am

Off topic comments and abuse removed. Please try and keep it civil on the forum guys as it's usually pretty friendly on here :walkietalkie:
SilverShadow
Site Admin

Postby m0jfp » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:30 pm

Hi All,

Just wanted to share the latest updates form our other forum post which you may find useful.

First batch order has been placed.... so within 2 weeks we should have a lot more to share... :biggrin:

====Copied from other forum post to keep you all updated=======

Part of the project to make DMR *Easy Access* is to provide the radio with your DMR ID and a few repeaters, hopefully after a few radios go we will have several code plugs with many different combinations and the work load will go down, not that its that hard to do a custom code plug.
maybe 10 mins work for 4 repeaters. We will include the simplex analogue and dmr channels as well.

I do like the idea of teaching a man to fish though and this could be another arm of the project.
code plug tutorials now on the list, video and documentation...
Maybe another idea would be to approach clubs and get one expert who can share their knowledge the the rest?
what is dmr, what is a code plug, how do I get my radio programmed up.... Brand neutral...

We have the custom software and have spent a bit of time adding Ham radio specific hints and tips in it.
Comments and feedback will always help us improve the documentation and we can get this updated and shared out very quickly.
Community spirit, maybe we can add a name / call to the pages you help edit ;-) just as a thank you 8-)

As a heads up, given the feedback on this and other forums and research , we will ship the programming cable in every box now.
Its a tiny overhead but gives you the opportunity to do your own thing or just try and have a go. *Go Fish*

We will post code plugs on the blog site, you can also send the radio back if that is your preferred option.

As a project / community just post your code plug requests, or let us know if something changes in your area.
You could also share any code plugs back to us? that really could help.

Any question's comments or feedback please post in here.

James M0JFP / WO2I
m0jfp

Postby m0jfp » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:26 pm

We just released the first pictures of the radios on our blog take a look here: http://chertseyradioclub.blogspot.co.uk ... -beta.html
We have added some of our testing and some of the documentation for your review and comments.

Please let me know what you think

James.
m0jfp

Postby Im_Listening » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:08 pm

I've not read all of this thread but enough to get the jist of it. Not sure you'll make a million with the idea of pre programmed as things change fairly often it would end up being the same as any other radio where for practicality reasons the user will have to learn to program themselves. Having said that if the price is right (read md-380 price) then it's a much nicer looking radio which could sell well on its own.
Whistler WS1098
Motorola SL4000
CS701 VHF DMR
Bumfu@k UV-5
Some old random toot
Im_Listening

Postby m0jfp » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:07 am

Hi Im_Listening,

The jist was never to sell a million or to make any money, its just an idea to get more people on to DMR and to give it a go.
The aim was to program the radio initially and offer a service to re-program as needed. Taking the initial threat out of the mode and radio and allowing easy access to all.

The first batch has been ordered now and should be here in the coming weeks.

We have worked pretty hard with the manufacturer and our beta testers to ensure a good looking, quality radio without any of the stress.
We will still be in under £100, but depending on the import tax and shipping costs those factors will say how much we can save you.

Let me know if you have any questions, comments or suggestions?

Thanks

James.
m0jfp

Postby lars » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:05 am

"I sometimes wonder if the average 2 meter user realises that simplex is even a possibility."

Not wishing to de-rail the discussion, but...

I rather suspect that, where I live, 2 metre simplex _isn't_ a possibility. HF is also troublesome, but for different reasons. Depending on the conditions, I can pick up 4-6 UHF/VHF repeaters in my locality, and absolutely nothing else. I honestly have no idea whether that's because of geography, or because nobody is using anything except repeaters. I suspect a bit of both.Conceivably it's the unfavourable geography that forces everybody onto repeaters.

One of the things that makes amateur radio interesting for me is that it is possible, in principle, without infrastructure. That's pretty much its unique selling point, in fact. If I have to rely on complex infrastructure that is out of my control then, so far as I'm concerned, I might as well use Skype. That everything in the VHF/UHF bands is concentrated on repeaters seems kind of self-defeating to me, but there doesn't seem to be much else available in my area.
lars

Postby m0jfp » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:20 pm

Hi Lars,

There is skype, but there is also echolink and for a little more verity have you seen remotehams.com its allows you to remote control HF radios all over the world for free.
Its not 100% real radio but its very close.

Repeaters are great, always have been especially when mobile.

DMR uses the advances made in technology to combine both a local repeater and the opportunity to link up using the Internet as a trunking back end.

It is just a new(ish) fad and one you can use if you choose to.

Our point as a club project was just to give people a way to get on and have a go, without having to faff about programming or wondering how to use the radio.
Also if this does not last more than a few years.. well at under £100 delivered its not going to break the bank like other less favorable digital modes...

Please take the club project and this mode at face value and not as a replacement for HF or other simplex modes.
I love HF and I really wish I had more time to sit and use it, but if you want a quick hit of radio, with a great infrastructure and the potential to catch a call sign from far away (even be it via the Internet) or chat to you mate down the road using the more local repeater mode.

Its just another avenue to explore...

Cheers

James / M0JFP
m0jfp

Postby lars » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:13 pm

Hi James

Sure -- I'm not for a moment trying to disparage your efforts; and of course there's a place for digital radio modes of all kinds, and repeaters seem to be kind-of unavoidable, particularly if you want pragmatic, reasonably close-range radio communication.

Best wishes
Lars
lars

Postby G4RMT » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:23 pm

I'm thinking that anything now to get more activity has to be good. I drove nearly 600 miles yesterday and today from Lowestoft to Liverpool - A roads, then up the M6 through Birmingham with my radio set to S20 and heard 3 people call on it. Considering Birmingham and the motorways were really busy - the lack of activity is a bit strange.
G4RMT

Postby m0jfp » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:27 am

Hello OM,

I'd say there is a general lack of activity on 2 and 70 locally now, mainly due to mobile phones taking over as a more convenient method of keeping in contact on the move.
Especially analogue which has limited coverage even through a repeater.

The advantages with DMR is that the repeaters are linked up using the Internet, You can set your radio to scan through the different talk groups as you are driving and should pick up a few more conversations or qso's.
Just change repeater as you go out of range and re-scan through the talk groups.

The talk groups cover local regions of the UK, UK wide, europe and world wide, there are several other talk groups but there should be plenty of activity, which will stop you getting bored on your travels.

**insert humor** you could even talk to yourself via the echo test **remove humor**

G4RMT wrote:I'm thinking that anything now to get more activity has to be good. I drove nearly 600 miles yesterday and today from Lowestoft to Liverpool - A roads, then up the M6 through Birmingham with my radio set to S20 and heard 3 people call on it. Considering Birmingham and the motorways were really busy - the lack of activity is a bit strange.

We got our custom software delivered today and I have made it and the USB drivers available on the Trilogy page on the blog site.

Cheers

James.
m0jfp

PreviousNext

Return to Amateur Radio