Silly Question - Amateur Radio Seasons

Everything Ham Radio in here, Frequencies, Equipment, Repairs, Mods, Licensing and More

Silly Question - Amateur Radio Seasons

Postby barrylewis1234 » Sun May 27, 2018 10:14 am

Silly Question Here

Im just studying to get my foudation Licence... I was discussing radio with somebody other week and he said the 50MHZ 6M season is about to end...

This baffled me...... Is there amateur radio seasons? and if so what are they and when?
barrylewis1234

Re: Silly Question - Amateur Radio Seasons

Postby Darkstar » Wed May 30, 2018 9:42 am

Hi, the answer is in your foundation book in the section on propogation, that explains it pretty well.
Darkstar

Postby m0lsx » Wed May 30, 2018 10:41 am

barrylewis1234 wrote: I was discussing radio with somebody other week and he said the 50MHZ 6M season is about to end...

The 6 meter season is just starting, not ending.
And what we are talking about is the season for good long distance contacts. 10 & 6 meters can be worked all year round, but during the summer months they both come alive at certain times. With 100's & even 1000's of miles being possible on the simplest of set ups using very low power. Natural conditions do all the work.
On 6 meters I have worked Poland mobile to mobile on USB. Me on a FT-817 using 1 watt, him using self built equipment & less than 0.5 of a watt.
On 10 meters I have worked Scotland via the New York repeater on 5 watts, after I tuned up my ATU & then answered a call, before I had turned my radios power back up.
2 meters also comes alive some days during the summer too. On FM using my Yaesu VX-7r I have worked a German Station via a French repeater, so on FM & from here in Norwich. I have also worked mobile to mobile from just north of Norwich to North of Aberdeen. I was running 10 watts & the path is almost all water. But still a good contact.
Once you have your Foundation licence, there is a very good book by Ian Poole, G3YWX called Radio Propagation. Principals & practice. But do not get it before you pass, as it may be basic, but it way beyond anything the foundation wants & it will confuse you.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby G4RMT » Thu May 31, 2018 9:12 am

When you chat with hams and they say things you don't understand - don't be embarrassed, just ask. You'll get a 20 minute answer and explanation. Hams in general quite like educating others. Some get most of it right, too!
G4RMT

Return to Amateur Radio