Mother Nature not playing fair at least not by me :)

Everything Ham Radio in here, Frequencies, Equipment, Repairs, Mods, Licensing and More

Mother Nature not playing fair at least not by me :)

Postby JGR » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:04 pm

What is with the solar issues at the moment we seem to be under attack all the time from CME after CME and then the solar winds are very highly elevated when the CME subsides there fore stripping the atmosphere of the ionisation we all need for the HF propagation. :sad: I really wish it would settle down as I have not been able to make any reliable DX contacts as it is so up and down with strong QSB and then it decides to provide openings when I am not at my radio like 10m openings at 3am!

Oh well rant over with, was just a rant really as the current conditions are driving me mad :tongue:
JGR

Re: Mother Nature not playing fair at least not by me :)

Postby m0lsx » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:37 pm

I have had some good 10, 6 & 4 contacts recently.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby JGR » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:03 pm

Very sporadic at these times though and I am probably a little molly coddled with the season starting off rather quiet over winter and spring, but as they say things can only get better. :biggrin:
JGR

Postby Hax » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:12 am

It isn't just you, Our local 10m SSB net was going every evening and was going for about 8 years or so, until recently,
and we've seen conditions come and go. but having been operating for many years longer, i can say the sun is still not
nearly as active as it has been, with the present cycle (24) being a pale imitation of much better periods.

The problem with high solar activity is it offers good and bad, the problem seems to me that these exciting openings are much
more rare and weak nowdays. openings were longer, signals stronger, QSB was less.

We're not anything like as 'under attack' as the media and others would have us believe, it does however seem
fashionable to predict doomsday, and even the Sun is seen as an 'axis of evil' now, as it sells newspaoers and gives pundits
on all sides something to shout about - like its a new thing...

If a huge 'Carrington Event' (1859)' type CME comes our way again, it will make a real mess of our tech heavy society,
but as any of us on here know, the sun is actually **less active** now than its been for decades, although we're about
at solar max now, its still very very crap., with predictions of a new 'Maunder minimum' being spoken
of in many circles. its a pity *that* fact isn't mentioned by the same types, but its not quite as scary and attention grabbing.
but yes, i too remember 10m being open all night almost *regularly* on many occasions too.

The bands do open though, and open well on occasion, 10m has been open regularly for DX for the last couple of years.
but not everyone hears it for various reasons.
Some people say general activity-on-the-bands is lower too, i agree on VHF and up,
but when the HF bands are open, it seems there as just as many stations as ever there once was,

I do believe the bands are open more than people think, just that maybe some watch the DX cluster instead of switching
the radio on and tuning in beacons or calling CQ ...
Hax

Postby JGR » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:07 pm

I do believe the bands are open more than people think, just that maybe some watch the DX cluster instead of switching
the radio on and tuning in beacons or calling CQ ...

That is what I believe and I even monitor the infamous triple 5 and on lots of occasions when it is active I move up to 10m and find no amateur radio operators on the frequencies, it is as you say no DX cluster means no active bands :rolleyes:
JGR

Postby Hax » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:11 pm

certainly seems that way to me !
Hax

Return to Amateur Radio