Travel and flight with amateur equipment

Everything Ham Radio in here, Frequencies, Equipment, Repairs, Mods, Licensing and More

Travel and flight with amateur equipment

Postby M0GLU » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:50 pm

Hi All,

I would like will take amateur activity on Marolca.

What is the rules for delivery the equipments (trx, antenna, wires, battery..) on flight (Easyjet)?

I think delivery it's possible just in checked in bag not in the hand bag.

Thanks any suggestions.

73' Tony
73' Tony
M0GLU
M0GLU

Re: Travel and flight with amateur equipment

Postby G4RMT » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:43 am

I fly with all kinds of radio equipment - walkie talkie style, plus things like in-ear radio systems for performers. In all my travels they go in the hold luggage - just in my suitcase, or in the guitar case - which is key locked, but fitted with the TSA lock - so they can open it up if they wish, I don't know. Only once was I questioned - in the UAE, and they ignored the hand-heads and just wanted to know what a Sennheiser G3 pack was. Actually, it was on EU frequencies and not UAE frequencies, and that didn't worry them.

I'm about to do some stuff on a cruise ship in the Med, and one of the advance notices I have had says no radio equipment allowed on the ship, so I'm going to take some network radios as these are really phones, so I'm hoping to get away with that. I can't find any actual bans on walkie talkies in the cabin. Last weeks flight out said "ALL electronic devices must be switched completely off for takeoff", coming back on the same plane type different airline, they just needed to be in aircraft mode. Checking the rules for our instruments I didn't see anything on radio apparatus.
G4RMT

Return to Amateur Radio