Please can anyone help me getting a Radio scanner

A place to talk about everything Radio and Scanning

Please can anyone help me getting a Radio scanner

Postby dcfcdave » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:46 pm

Hi can anyone help me please.would like some advice
I'm looking at getting Radio scanner but not sure on which one to get as I'm new to Radio scanning.
Can anyone tell me which one would be best to get.
Tecsun S2000 or whistler WS1065 or Uniden BCT-5X GPS

Thankyou very much for you help
Regards dave
dcfcdave

Re: Please can anyone help me

Postby m0lsx » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:27 pm

Those 3 are very different radios.

The Tecsun S2000 is a Shortwave receiver with Airband added as a extra. I am a keen SWL (Short Wave Listener.) And my portable receiver has airband & I find it a really useful extra. But these radios are not what we would call a scanner.

The whistler WS1065 is not a bad radio, but it is NOT a digital scanner. But an analogue scanner with a few extra modes thrown in. For me the gaps in coverage make this a poor choice.

Of the 3 you list, the best for me is the Uniden BCT-15X GPS. I have a 15X & it is a good analogue scanner. It also has gaps in coverage, but importantly it covers all the spectrum between 25 & 512 Mhz & personally I would say, few of us listen to very little above 500 MHz & unless it's on a shortwave receiver, almost nothing below 27Mhz.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby Minus1 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:02 am

I'd agree with the previous post, but note that the BCT-15X is not digital, so with an increasing amount of digital use by businesses you won't be able to receive them.
Plenty of analog stuff still around though, amateur, aircraft, fireground, marine, PMSE, and some businesses.
Unidens that allow you to connect a GPS puck are very useful if you set them up so that when driving around it enables and disables groups as you come and leave range.

The Uniden BCD996XT has all of the features of the BCT-15X but has 25000 channels rather than 9000; and has P25 (only of use in the UK of you live near a USAF base, or Salisbury Plain). You'd have to buy this from the US as no-one sells it over here AFAIK.

For digital (DMR,CapacityPlus) coverage you'd need to spend more money on something like a Uniden UBCD3600XLT.
I reserve the right to ignore people who have made no attempt to the read the manual, and expect others to do it for them.
Minus1

Postby Blackjack56 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:29 am

looks like your choices are all desktop scanners but have you considered a hand held?,for the money i would buy a uniden ubc125 xlt,it's a good all rounder which will pick up civil and military airband,marine,and pmr etc, it also has the"close call"feature where it will capture nearby frequencies and store them for you which i have found really useful,if you do get one i would recommend changing the antenna for something like a watson or better stillan external one as it comes with a"rubber duck"one.i have had other scanners and currently also have an ancient yupi 7100 and the uniden compares well for the price.hope this helps !.mark.
Blackjack56

Return to Radio and Scanning Chat