Quick question is there any way or any scanner that can
Decode garbled DMR. I can pick unencrypted DMR fine but some channels
Sound garbled

Is there any scanner that can do it?

I currently have a whistler TRX1
doddster09

Re: DMR Encrypted channels

Postby moj » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:59 pm

In a nutshell no you can't go to a shop and buy a scanner that decrypts audio, and the reason the encryption has been enabled is cause they don't want us scanner user's knowing there business etc , its becoming a lot more commonly used around here now aswell sadly ;)
moj

Postby bigboyblue » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:51 pm

The whole point of encryption is that they DONT want you to be able to listen in.

What type of system is it, as there's several different versions of encryption, including easyish defeatable ones.

Hytera or Motorola, Kenwood or icom ?

Do you get no audio but you do get callsign / radio and group info ?
bigboyblue

Postby moj » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:01 am

Trafford centre enhanced and ras used so it will take a lot of key guessing i reckon ;)
moj

Postby USAFE501 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:13 am

Morning,
Sorry to hijack this post :embarrased:
Is there anyway of knowing for sure what type of DMR system is being used ? I'm sure my Whistler scanner just says "DMR" on the screen along with slot, cc etc...
You experts out there can probably tell by the sound of the "machine gun " noise :laughs: :laughs: , but sadly i'm not blessed with that skill.

And before you wiseguys say it first , I know its easy to tell , if audio cant be heard its probably RAS !!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Does DSD+ on a laptop show the type of DMR ?
Thanks in advance, :thumbup:
USAFE 501
* Apologies if this has been asked before , I couldn't find anything via the search box :huh:
USAFE501

Postby moj » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:56 pm

Yes dsd does show you detail's like if a system is xpt or tier 3 or if it's a cap plus , which usually you can tell by how many different repeater's are in use etc.

just keep watching the scrolling screen or the details when they flash up with cap plus or nxdn and you will get an idea what there using but one thing i have noticed is sometimes where it say's ras is in use it actually isn't ?

Also the new hytera ota doesn't allow talkgroups detail's to be shown so the supplier's are getting smarter now ;)
moj

Postby bigboyblue » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:48 pm

Motorola mototrbo systems don't stop system details like talkgroups on basic or no encryption, but on enhanced encryption they do hide the details so it cant be seen by sdr.

Nobody used to really used enhanced encryption though, as it reduced the payload available for voice, so degrades the voice quality a little. Not a problem when you are all used to digital, but for those switching from being used to analogue, makes a difference. Hence why many dealers just used to put RAS on to stop others hijacking the repeater, and basic encryption on to stop people listening.

As the kit out there has got more widly used, and people want to be able to listen in, dealers are now putting RAS on, and enhanced encryption as standard.

RAS was even put on by default a few revisions of firmware ago on the handsets, so you had to turn it off if you didn't want to use it, rather than turn it on. RAS doesn't affect voice quality or encryption though, RAS is only there to stop any old radio being programmed up and used on your repeater you've paid for.

Was quite a problem in the early days when talk path / slot 2 was not used, you in effect were handing anyone you wanted a free ticket to using your repeater, on their own channel, and unless you were on the same talkgroups, you couldn't hear each other, or find who was using your repeater.

I know of a system in Portsmouth that was wide area, capacity plus, that had at least 2 other people on it !!
bigboyblue

Return to Radio and Scanning Chat