Hello !

A place to talk about everything Radio and Scanning

Hello !

Postby andrewgm » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:45 pm

I've recently joined the forum but haven't used it properly so I thought I'd introduce myself and see if there's anyone as sad as me out there ! :wave:

I'm an avid Airband listener and have tried 9 roof mounted antenna's, 4 handheld radios and 8 base units in an attempt to get the sort of reception I wanted.
I've also tried and changed 5 different feed line cables too - such was my frustration and determination.
I've wasted so much money buying the wrong stuff in the hope of achieving Nirvana believing it was the radio itself that did the hard work.
What I found is almost the opposite is true.

I'm part way down a valley which doesn't help so North transmissions aren't fantastic but south, east and west I have line of sight with the naked eye to around Leeds and maybe slightly further - I'm in Tyne & Wear ( Line of sight being wing tip beacons but providing the plane is about 20,000 feet plus )
Newcastle tower to ground ops and ground to plane transmissions are clear now since I changed my feed line and connectors ( antenna is on the chimney stack ) and the ' ' push back ' guys can be heart talking to the pilots too - not so clear but understandable anyway.
As the crow flies the Airport is less than 11 miles from me ( with hills and undulations in the way ) and is at the same height above sea level as the house ( I checked one day when I was scratching my head again ! )

I've searched so many websites and forums looking for other obsessive types like me but found most of them underwhelming with everyone and their opinions making little or no sense or just promoting the Uniden BC125 handheld or Diamond D777 or home brew dipoles without understanding really what they're talking about.
A bit embarrassing really and once I see that I'm usually off in the other direction.

Then there's the ones making antennas, self elevating their skills in the description and selling them on E Bay making the most ridiculous claims about gain, not using the correct measurements and just saying ' db ' or low take off angle without any evidence to support their claims.
The levels of illiteracy when trying to communication with some of them is simply breath taking - and we're to be filled with confidence when handing our money over to buy a lashed up piece of crap my son could make.
It's a total minefield.

I have however hit the ' sweet spot ' with a J Pole at about 32 feet using Andrew Heliax 13mm LDF4-50 ( an off - cut I got for a song from E Bay - I'm not rich btw ) and lots of serous mains filtering for the house.
Yes the house was crippling the reception as much as anything else with a noise floor I never knew was there....and a lot of it was on the earth / ground of my ring main.
All the SMPS supplies in the building from laptop power supplies, the fridge, the wireless router, TV' s and the sons play station etc were dumping their switching noise straight to ground and once this was addressed it was like I'd made a significant investment in something else.

So it's true what the experts say....antenna first, feed line quality ( just as important ) and......lowering the levels of mains noise muscling in on the radios.
I would never have thought of that until I saw a video of a man who wrapped 3 core mains cable 10 times round a 6 inch ferrite rod normally associated with an
aerial from an old radio....depends on your age whether you recognise this or not.....hahaha
This arrangement then fed a distribution block for his shack and he even demonstrated it with his ' S ' metre clearly going up and down every time he switched this thing in and out- astonishing levels of improvement.
I tried it and cost less than £10 to put together - oh...and a bit of large heat shrink tube is needed too.

So, that's me - anyone else out there with any additional tips for lowering noise floor or just someone as odd as me ?

Looking forward to your / any replies...

Thanks

Been there - and little point in moaning.
andrewgm

Re: Hello !

Postby radiostationx » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:57 pm

Hi amdrewgm,
Andrews LDF4-50 is smashing coax the connectors are more expensive than standard stuff. I used LDF4-50 on an antenna at my old house and I bought the cable and connectors from Jeff Davis at Davis RF in the USA.
http://www.davisrf.com/index.php
It was a good while ago now but I recall the cost of the cable and connectors including shipping was just over 1/2 the price of UK stockists FS Cables who were then located in London Colney.
I had my order from Jeff in 3 days.
I placed quite a few further orders with Davis RF for flexweave antenna wire and other bits..Great Service

Hope you enjoy the forum

Mike
http://www.merseyradar.co.uk/
radiostationx

Postby andrewgm » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:10 pm

Mike Hi

Are you the chap who loves and repairs MVT7000's and gave us that excellent double bazooka design ?
If so I'd like to thank you for it and to say I'm making yet another one !!
' Maxed out ' in every over the top way I can think of :-)

Do let me know - I'd like to ask a few questions ( it really is just a few btw - promise !! )

Cheers
andrewgm

Postby radiostationx » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:41 pm

andrewgm wrote:Mike Hi

Are you the chap who loves and repairs MVT7000's and gave us that excellent double bazooka design ?

Yes Indeed andrewgm

Time limited at the moment due to crazy working hours and I dont look in on this forum daily, more like every week or so but I will try to answer your questions, try

info(at)merseyradar(dot)co(dot)uk

Mike

http://www.merseyradar.co.uk/
radiostationx

Return to Radio and Scanning Chat