Recording Audio from a Uniden BCT15X to a PC

A place to talk about everything Radio and Scanning

Recording Audio from a Uniden BCT15X to a PC

Postby welshmonitor » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:54 pm

Hi all,
I have had to buy a new PC due to my last one giving up the ghost, the PC I know have is an HP All-in-One - 22-c0044na, It's a good PC however the downside is that is has a "Combi" audio port (mic & external speaker via one 3.5mm jack)
I have my Uniden BCT15X connected to PC via a USB cable (front port on the scanner) & a 3.5mm patch lead (from rear record port on the scanner) to the 3.5mm Combi audio port on the PC.
I am using Freescan software to control the scanner & record the audio, I believe I have the audio options set correctly on the PC, however, on playback the audio is crap quality. I have tried 3 different patch leads from the recording jack of scanner to the Combi audio port on the PC, but no improvement in quality. I have also played around with the record/playback quality setting in Windows 10, but again no improvement at all.

I am guessing the Combi audio port on the PC is just not up to the job & that a proper line in/mic in & speaker out port on the PC would be better, however, most PC manufactures seem to be going down the Combi audio port root.
Does anybody have any experience of these Combi audio ports, if so have you managed to get good quality recorded audio & more importantly how??

If anybody has any ideas/solutions (apart from getting a different PC) to resolve this crap audio recording quality, then It would be very much appreciated.

Regards
Welshmonitor
welshmonitor

Re: Recording Audio from a Uniden BCT15X to a PC

Postby jimh » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:02 pm

Have you considered adding a usb soundcard to one of your spare usb ports?

This one is excellent, although I'm sure there are cheaper examples:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-S ... =430548031
jimh

Postby Bobcode » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:23 am

Have a look at the Sabrent usb external stereo adapter for windows and mac. This will give you separate mic and speaker connections, plug and play, on Amazon at £7.99. Might just do the job.
The past serves nothing, save lessons learned for the future !
Bobcode

Postby welshmonitor » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:59 am

Thank you guys, I will take a look at both of those a bit later when I have a spare few minutes.

Typical of PC manufacturers to try and save a few ££ by using a Combi audio port rather than a standard set of Mic in, Line in & Speaker out ports :sneer:

Regards
Welshmonitor
welshmonitor

Postby radiostationx » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:25 am

You could try adding a virtual audio cable using the excellent VAC software by Evgeni Muzychenko,
https://vac.muzychenko.net/en/about.htm

I use this and have it outputting 4 or 5 cables out from aux vfos in sdr# into 4 or 5 running instances of jaero all using same NESDR nooelec dongle.

The free trial software gives you 1 cable for free which may be all you need.
Configure the VAC to output the audio from your combi port in to your recording software.
radiostationx

Postby welshmonitor » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:53 am

Just a quick update on this, I decided to go with the Sabrent USB Audio Stereo Sound Adapter, not that expensive to buy (less than £10) and it has worked perfectly :smiles:

Thank you for all the replies & suggestions, it is very much appreciated :thumbup:

Regards
Dave
Welshmonitor
welshmonitor

Postby Bobcode » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:27 am

Great stuff ! Glad you are sorted :-P
The past serves nothing, save lessons learned for the future !
Bobcode

Return to Radio and Scanning Chat