just a question about vhf range

A place to talk about everything Radio and Scanning

just a question about vhf range

Postby phill » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:48 pm

Hi name phill live in cwmbran wales just wondering got a sdr radio and discone aerial on roof qould i be able
to listen to like fairford or brize norton
i can recieve bristol ok have heard militry aircraft but lost my list on pc any help most appreciated phill
phill

Re: just a question about vhf range

Postby jimh » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:23 pm

As a general rule of thumb, VHF is essentially line of sight: if you can 'see' it, you should be able to hear it. If you can't, you can't. Height is critical. That's why, for example you might not be able to hear a taxi 2 miles away because it's behind a hill, but you can hear the ISS from over 220 miles away when it passes overhead within clear line of sight.

This might help with specific questions on predicting likely range - it will vary with height/position of the aircraft.
http://www.heywhatsthat.com/profiler.html
jimh

Postby Chris P » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:22 pm

you may well hear the aircraft on the brize norton and fairford frequencies including the U2s as they approach the field but it is doubtful you will hear the ground stations . The curvature of the earth gives a nominal horizon of around 18 miles on VHF and less on UHF provided that you have no hills or other objects between you and the horizon . the higher the transmitter and your receiver antennas are the range may be slightly above this . On rare occasions when there is a temperature inversion effect this can lead to far greater range being achieved as the signals are bounced off of layers in the atmosphere .
Regards Chris aka G8FFF nipper or tazmin88
Chris P

Postby radiostationx » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:47 pm

Not a chance from Cwmbran with Brize or Fairford gnd/approach Im afraid

radiostationx

Postby Minus1 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:42 am

Take a walk up Mynydd Twyn-glas with a handheld scanner, sandwiches, drink, spare batteries, raincoat, and portable chair, and you'll be fine. Brize Norton is line of sight from up there. :mrcool:
I reserve the right to ignore people who have made no attempt to the read the manual, and expect others to do it for them.
Minus1

Postby phill » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:43 pm

thanks very much all for information ive heard militry air on 200mhz in air got sdr radio and disone skyking also got hf long wire outside thanks again for replys phill
phill

Return to Radio and Scanning Chat