Interference on Marine VHF

A place to talk about everything Radio and Scanning

Interference on Marine VHF

Postby royjcropper » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:41 pm

Good afternoon all,

I'm experiencing some interference on my marine vhf at home which I think is down to a neighbour's Sky router. There isn't much I can do about something in someone else's house so I've been told that I need a marine vhf band pass filter. This is all well and good until you actually try and find one for sale. Would anyone know where to get one from please?

Thanks,

Roy.
royjcropper

Re: Interference on Marine VHF

Postby G4PYR » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:24 pm

A band pass filter will not remove any rubbish thats generated within the marine band, only stuff outside the band that causing you problems.

If for example the router in question is generating rubbish on 156.800 Mhz then a band pass filter wont remove it.
G4PYR

Postby G4RMT » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:13 pm

In my office I stuck an SDR dongle in the computer. The marine band was full of sproggies, and channel 0 was impossible. I tried a small real scanner - again the interference was terrible. My RF Explorer got pulled out and the cause was the Talk Talk router. All kinds of rubbish from just over 100MHz up to over 500. However, pulling out a real Marine radio produced no noise at all. Tried another - an ancient Icom and brand new DCS equipped handheld both able to work on all the channels, noise free. The scanner and SDR were unusable.
G4RMT

Postby gmanbelfast » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:18 am

This could be pagers causing this issue, I cannot use VHF Marine on my scanner, it just gets wiped out. Have a look down around 153mhz and see if this is what is causing the issue.
Anytone AT-D578UV Pro - RTL-SDR V1 with SDRConsole
Signal Hunter
frequencydb.uk
gmanbelfast

Postby mickydt » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:19 pm

i am getting it on channel 0, 67 and 73
supporting those with sickness and disabilities https://socialhub.forumotion.co.uk/
mickydt

Postby deadite66 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:38 pm

don't have a problem with pagers here.
https://i.imgur.com/lQ5FMo1.png

only issue i have is at 159.214, sometime it's so strong it will overload the front end.
https://i.imgur.com/WrJJGZg.png

if it is a pager signal i wonder if a quarter-wave stub would help, might stray into the marine band a bit though.
SDRplay RSP1A on a Marine tuned dipole (Rocket Radio MARI-1)
24/7 Marine recording with RTLSDR_Airband
Airspy R2 on a Discone
SDRPlay RSP2 Pro on a homebrew UHF dipole and modified MLA-30 loop.
Yupiteru MVT-9000 MKII telescopic ant.
deadite66

Postby mark99 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:41 pm

My neighbours had new smart meters fitted and from that day on, 156.000 is wiped out with 20db+ of noise.
mark99

Postby G4RMT » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:40 pm

That's unacceptable isn't it - how do they get away with it?
G4RMT

Postby G4RMT » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:43 am

Ive been reprogramming a radio for a customer so he can have channel 0 receive in his boat. He just nosey I think, and input tibia my van for a couple of days to test it out, as per his requirements and channel 0 is simply awful. I drive along the main road between lowestoft and Great Yarmouth and its total silent till the first bunch of houses where sting carriers appear and disappear. Once I get to either of the two towns, the interference is pretty constant. Having zero in a memory included in a scan is just pointless. The other day, going the other way with blues and twos on, a couple of coastguard vehicles were driving towards get Yarmouth at high speed. How on earth do they cope with their official use of channel zero, it must be awful? I wondered if channel 0 has a CTCSS tone to prevent their radios on that channel going wild? I'll check next time it's active.
G4RMT

Postby thelad » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:03 pm

I heard the other day that even the Coast Guard are getting it when they drive near to houses but they ignore it.
thelad

Return to Radio and Scanning Chat