Voyage of discovery!

A place to talk about everything Radio and Scanning

Voyage of discovery!

Postby StuartC » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:48 am

Several days after receipt of my ubc125 and I think I am making progress! Unit is preprogrammed with civ and mil frequencies and I am picking up several transmissions. Most productive so far is133.8 which seems to be Manchester (according to Google!) In fact clearest seem to be from west of me presumably higher ground. Have heard nothing fromEast Midlands my local airport, this doesn't altogether surprise me as we are quite low lying here and EMA also! Get ocassional bursts from a variety of other frequencies, why just a short burst, i.e part of the transmission? Is that an effect of reception/distance? Presumably having so many frequencies programmed in slows scanning so will likely get the software to assist with removing some irrelevant frequencies.
StuartC

Re: Voyage of discovery!

Postby NigelNice » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:22 pm

Hi Stewart,
I just got a UBX125 as well. So am on the same learning curve as you !
Not sure about the short burst issue, but as you mentioned software I can recommend Scan125.
It makes controlling the scanner very easy. You can lock out individual frequencies or banks much more easily.
Also you can back up your pre-programmed frequencies in case you lose them for any unforeseen reason.
NigelNice

Postby StuartC » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:22 pm

Thanks Nigel. Yes I have been reading the instructions on ubc125 today and will be downloading it. I am still on Windows 7 so have to allow time to download and activate the driver.

The software should make scanning so much easier to control.
StuartC

Postby Southwales » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:17 pm

Hi, Does scan 125 work as easy as chirp, have to admit to being rubbish and easily confused when it comes to software and computers, can you upload and download frequencies from your radio like on chirp to view and edit them etc?.
Southwales

Postby Minus1 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:50 pm

133.8 used to be called "Manchester".
Then "Manchester" became "Scottish".
It's the same control centre (in Prestwick)

133.8 is transmitted from the NATS site at Waltham.
If you can receive transmissions from the ground, you should also be able to get these:
- 123.95 Shanwick (Aircraft reg West of 30ºW)
- 124.6 London Info East
- 127.65 Shanwick (Aircraft reg East of 30ºW)

This site will let you plot the topography between your house and the airport, and will probably show why you are not able to hear the ground.
http://www.heywhatsthat.com/profiler.html
I reserve the right to ignore people who have made no attempt to the read the manual, and expect others to do it for them.
Minus1

Postby StuartC » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:18 pm

Thanks, Presumed it was Manchester but didn't know it was transmitted from Waltham. Given my location that makes sense.

Yes I receive all those ground and air. I was very surprised to hear Shanwick so clearly including response from air somewhere west of Ireland albeit at nearly 40,000ft according to fr24!
StuartC

Return to Radio and Scanning Chat