The new AOR AR-DV10 & TETRA

A place to talk about everything Radio and Scanning

Re: The new AOR AR-DV10 & TETRA

Postby jimh » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:35 pm

Neil57uk wrote:what exactly am I getting that is of practical use worth spending an additional £500/600 comparted with the Whistler or Uniden DMR receivers?

Bit tricky to say just yet as it hasn't been released.....versus a Uniden,I'd say some NXDN and DSTAR. DMR simplex on the Uniden is terrible. dPMR users are very rare. I'd also assume that we may never see another firmware upgrade/enhancement on the Uniden. Versus a Whistler I'd assume the AOR slightly easier to search with and more sensitive, as the TRX models are quite basic in this regard. Unless the AOR spec changes, if you need DMR simplex and NXDN I'd stick with the cheaper Whistler.
jimh

Postby Neil57uk » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:15 am

The Uniden is certainly hopless for simplex DMR. Very disapointing. Has anybody downloaded the software update an is it any better?

As I type this I'm 4500 miles from the UK monitoring US Coastguard on P25 digital with the Uniden. Decodes transmissions from 50 miles away with clarity. Not like DMR.
Neil57uk

Postby Metradio » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:47 am

Neil57uk wrote:The Uniden is certainly hopless for simplex DMR. Very disapointing. Has anybody downloaded the software update an is it any better?

Seems to be :smiles:

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD.
WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q /UBCD3600XLT / WTR Browser.
Metradio

Postby jimh » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:29 pm

Neil57uk wrote:The Uniden is certainly hopless for simplex DMR. Very disapointing. Has anybody downloaded the software update an is it any better?

I've tested x2 436's (the US cousin of the 3600), both with the latest firmware, both with the copper foil battery door bodge, and both with the self-mod C1 capacitor fix. It made some positive difference but not a lot. The Whistler TRX-1 still beats it hands down for DMR simplex performance.
jimh

Postby Neil57uk » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:37 am

Please tell. What is the copper foil battery door bodge and why? How to you self mod the C1 capacitor and why? Oh and what is a C1 cap?

NS

PS. In case you think that I'm a complete numpty I do know what a graphic equalizer does. It equalizes your graphics.
Neil57uk

Postby Minus1 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:35 am

As I type this I'm 4500 miles from the UK monitoring US Coastguard on P25 digital with the Uniden. Decodes transmissions from 50 miles away with clarity. Not like DMR.

I'd describe it as 'erratic'.
Sometimes you hear everything perfectly, other times you hear nothing at all, even though the digital noise can be heard loud and clear on an analog scanner.
Digital is certainly a LOT less reliable than analog if the signal is anything less than 5 by 5.
P25 reception was better years ago, then they had an upgrade and made it worse.
Unfortunately whatever settings Uniden endless tinker with to 'improve' things are not made available to users.
I reserve the right to ignore people who have made no attempt to the read the manual, and expect others to do it for them.
Minus1

Postby Metradio » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:24 am

Neil57uk wrote:Please tell. What is the copper foil battery door bodge and why? How to you self mod the C1 capacitor and why? Oh and what is a C1 cap?

It was reported by some that reception was improved by placing foil inside the battery door. The C1 capacitor inclusion is supposed to have been Uniden's fix to improve reception without using foil. This only seems to have affected older 436's..

Mike
Metradio

Postby jimh » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:11 pm

Metradio wrote:
Neil57uk wrote:Please tell. What is the copper foil battery door bodge and why? How to you self mod the C1 capacitor and why? Oh and what is a C1 cap?

It was reported by some that reception was improved by placing foil inside the battery door. The C1 capacitor inclusion is supposed to have been Uniden's fix to improve reception without using foil. This only seems to have affected older 436's..

Mike

Thanks Mike....here is the link to the respective threads on RR:
https://forums.radioreference.com/unide ... tment.html

For UK owners,I don't know if the Uniden 3600 suffers the same issues, and/or if the C1 capacitor is installed by default. It's relatively easy to check for it, and a bit more tricky to fit te C1 capacitor (not for the faint hearted: you need to know what you're doing/have a serious think about what if you brick the scanner etc). The copper foil is easy to add, but might not be needed. Some tests suggested adding too much made things worse.
jimh

Postby Metradio » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:27 pm

For UK owners,I don't know if the Uniden 3600 suffers the same issues....

The problem is not present in the 3600. It was solved before the 3600 appeared..

Mike
Metradio

Previous

Return to Radio and Scanning Chat