Repeater heard on uv-5r but not on ubc125xlt !

A place to talk about everything Radio and Scanning

Re: Repeater heard on uv-5r but not on ubc125xlt !

Postby Bobcode » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:10 pm

Thank you Davie Boy, your advice makes good sense, living where I do, I get many hits from military aircraft, I am within striking distance of Lakenheath, Mildenhall and have recently heard Honington. Perhaps I should be happy with what I have and keep the scanner for air and the uv-5r for the repeater....
The past serves nothing, save lessons learned for the future !
Bobcode

Postby Southwales » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:26 pm

A few weeks ago I made my own bicone antenna thanks to help and advice on here, works great on my scanner but I am surrounded by large hills, had hoped I could maybe listen to at least my nearest repeater 30 miles away but even with the squelch off I still could not hear anything on that frequency. Yesterday my sky f plug to female sma adapter arrived allowing me to connect my uv5r to the home made bicone, was surprised when I could then receive a signal from the repeater repeater, it is not very clear but it is audible. Tried the scanner again and still nothing. If only baofeng made scanners, they might be a little slow on scanning but the value for money would be brilliant.. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-F-Female- ... 2749.l2649
Southwales

Postby G4RMT » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:26 pm

Are you using the same antenna when you swap? That can make a big difference - the Baofeng has an antenna designed to work on the ham bands, while the scanner antenna tries to do everything - if you haven't tried it, do you have any adaptors to try the Baofeng antenna on the scanner and vice-versa.
G4RMT

Postby Bobcode » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:02 pm

Southwales & G4RMT, thank you, good sensible points and advice. Not using the same antenna, Boafeng standard duck and a telescopic whip on the scanner. I think you may have hit the nail on the head !
The past serves nothing, save lessons learned for the future !
Bobcode

Postby Southwales » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:05 pm

I am also finding this a problem when using mobile in my car and recieving distant signals, the uv5r is more likely to pick up a signal from many miles away and keep hold of it so you can hear what is being said, the scanner in the same location using the same mag mount antenna will struggle to keep the signal and keep dropping out every few seconds making it harder to know what is being said and it is very annoying, even tried putting the squelch as low as 2 and it makes little difference. I know the baofeng is designed for the 2 small bands it operates on but you would think the scanner that cost over £100 more would do a better job. Is one of the problems likely to be the uniden 125 lack of narrow FM?. As far as I can tell it looks like the American version got narrow FM.

I would have much preferred to use the scanner when mobile as it covers a lot more frequencies like CB and obviously scans faster but the lack of signal quality on distant signals is annoying, it is not like there is just a slight difference, the baofeng can be perfectly audible signal why the scanner is either not getting it at all or struggles to keep hold of the signal. But the baofengs downfall is its slow scanning speed, I have 72 channels in mine and it takes 13 seconds to get through them.
Southwales

Previous

Return to Radio and Scanning Chat