Uniden UBC-125XLT "Charge Complete" Query

A place to talk about everything Radio and Scanning

Uniden UBC-125XLT "Charge Complete" Query

Postby Bumble_Bee » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:59 pm

Hello everyone,

I purchased a Uniden UBC-125XLT at the weekend.

The rechargeable batteries (supplied with 2300mAh batteries) obviously needed charging fully before use so I plugged them in and left the unit charging – showing the “Charging” display on the unit.

I assumed that given about 15 hours the message on the display would turn to show “Charge complete”.

Alas, after 21 hours of charge (and with warm batteries) the message has not changed and so I got a bit concerned and disconnected the unit and just started using it.

I am not electronically minded I’m afraid so am not sure what the correct time frame for charging should be, but as the manual talks about 14 hours max charge when on PC charge I am not sure if the unit has a problem recognising a full charge or whether indeed there is a known problem in this area.

How long should I need to wait for an initial first (or any other) full rechargeable battery charge – does anyone know?

Also if I only needed to wait 14 hours would charging the batteries on the unit for 20 hours give cause for concern to the unit itself?

Thanks for your help.
Bumble_Bee

Re: Uniden UBC-125XLT "Charge Complete" Query

Postby m0lsx » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:57 pm

This question has been around as long as the 125 & the answer is not simple.

http://ukradioscanning.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2714

https://ukradioscanning.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5540

But at it's simplest, do not expect it to show Charge Complete, although it should, but we are not sure how many hours it takes to get to fully charged.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby Southwales » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:37 pm

To my understanding the 125 is a timer only charger that charges for the set time regardless if the batteries are fully charged or not, if you set it for 2 hour charge for example then after 2 hours it should stop charging and display charging complete, but this probably means the batteries are only 20 percent charged, my manual states that depending on the battery capacity installed then you should set the charge time longer for higher capacity batteries and just a few hours for say low capacity 600mah batteries. I have said this before that I think uniden really cheaped out on the in built charging circuit, plus it could really do with a battery bar status on the screen just like a mobile phone, you constantly have to estimate your usage and try guess how drained the batteries are likely to be. I like to take my scanner mobile and so constantly need it fully charged which means most of the time I am charging for the full 14 hours when it may only need a few hours top up. I have a £5 rechargeable bike light set from Lidl that you can put on charge mid week and when fully charged the light shows green so you know it's ready to go for another 15 hours if they can build that into a £5 item then uniden had no excuse, especially on a £120 scanner.

As for your problem of not displaying fully charged after the set time, I could only put down to faulty device or the power was interrupted and it started to charge again to the set time. Maybe try setting the charge time to just 1 hour and see if it then displays "charge complete" around 1 hour later. If that works then I would suggest run the scanner for several hours to discharge and give it another chance on a longer charge time setting before putting it down to a faulty device. Are you on a pay as you go electric meter and your credit possibly ran out for a few mins till you topped back up, or another possibility is that someone else in your household accidentally turned of the plug for a few seconds, on switching back on the power this would reset the charge time regardless of the battery charge status. Hope this helps.
Southwales

Postby i like old stuff » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:28 pm

I have same unit, I have 2 sets of batteries, I charge one out of the unit in a wall charger and change them for the flat ones as required, so repeating the process.

This way, One never needs to use the USB socket to charge.

Simples
i like old stuff

Postby Bumble_Bee » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:10 pm

Thanks All - a minefield by the looks of it of it with no definitive solution.

I'll set the 1 hour charge on the device and see what happens.

I'd thought about getting a second set of batteries and using that device to charge - I think this my be my next option. As you say given the price of the unit it wouldn't hurt to get this (what appears to be an inexpensive area) working correctly.

Cheers.
Bumble_Bee

Return to Radio and Scanning Chat