Anyone have or use the Skyscanner antennas?

A place to talk about everything Radio and Scanning

Anyone have or use the Skyscanner antennas?

Postby Southwales » Fri May 25, 2018 2:30 pm

Recently purchased the below antenna to sit on a pizza tray on top of my caravan roof for use with my uniden 125, plan is to swop the 12ft of rg58 coax to 6ft of low loss satellite coax, should this antenna outperform my much cheaper mini naygoya magmount which is what I have been using on there the last few weekends.

Imagefree photo hosting
Southwales

Re: Anyone have or use the Skyscanner antennas?

Postby Southwales » Sun May 27, 2018 3:00 pm

I decided to shorten the supplied coax on the above antenna by cutting of 6ft of the excess coax, and then fitting a sky f plug and then using a f to BNC adapter to connect to my scanner, was surprised to find that after cutting into the coax it did not have a solid copper centre core but was braided, this made fitting a sky f plug impossible so I had to remove all the coax from the base of the antenna and solder on my own piece of 75ohm sky coax at 6ft long, seems to work good but not sure if I really will save much in signal loss by switching to 75ohm and reducing the coax length in half, I only need 6 ft to reach from my tourer roof to inside my caravan.

Would still be Interested to hear thoughts on if the above antenna is good at different frequencies with its different length twigs, I have my scanner constantly scanning through 2m/70 cm frequencies, the 40 CB fm channels, PMR licence free frequencies, business radio frequencies and mil air. So need a good all round multiband and antenna.I rarely just concentrate on one frequency, if I do it is usually the licence free PMR frequencies. That is normally the most active at holiday parks.
Southwales

Postby GalaxianFive » Thu May 31, 2018 5:32 pm

I have one of these antennas which I bought shortly after receiving my UBC125XLT for Christmas. So far it has been brilliant and a lot better than my moonraker MRW-100 which I use for hand held. I use the Skyscanner indoors and in the car and pick up everything from aircraft civil and military, all sorts of PMR, Marine, amature band and taxis. Would recommend this antenna to anybody.
GalaxianFive

Postby Southwales » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:18 pm

When you use in the car is that why parked up or on the move?
Southwales

Postby m0lsx » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:02 pm

Southwales wrote: Would still be Interested to hear thoughts on if the above antenna is good at different frequencies with its different length twigs, I have my scanner constantly scanning through 2m/70 cm frequencies, the 40 CB fm channels, PMR licence free frequencies, business radio frequencies and mil air. So need a good all round multiband and antenna.

I have a discone with a collection of small vertical antennas like that fitted. It is a largish antenna & described as a desktop. But it has a mag mount, so would work nicely on static mobile use. It works well for what it is, but as I said it's not a tiny mobile antenna & really needs a large desk all to it's self. However it did pleasantly surprise me when I first got it.
The vertical antennas fitted are probably very good at UHF, acceptable on the shorter VHF frequencies, but become more & more limited as you drop below 2 meters. And I have always had my suspicions about how well such vertical antennas can work so close to each other. It is not like a horizontal nest where the antennas are spread out as they leave the feed point.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby mickydt » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:50 pm

i lived in a flat so couldn't put an outside aerial up i then opted for one these as mentioned and ran it with a pre-amp with very good results, Lancaster i was able to pick up Blackpool.
supporting those with sickness and disabilities https://socialhub.forumotion.co.uk/
mickydt

Postby GalaxianFive » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:54 pm

I use mine in the car both mobile and stationary. Works great. Michael.
GalaxianFive

Return to Radio and Scanning Chat