2m/70cm diamond antenna why mobile scanning

A place to talk about everything Radio and Scanning

2m/70cm diamond antenna why mobile scanning

Postby Southwales » Thu May 31, 2018 8:45 pm

Hi, I like to use my scanner in the car why commuting, at the moment I am using A diamond 2m70cm antenna with mag mount but I like to listen to and have my scanner searching through pmr 446, Mil Air ,CB FM, and the baofeng frequencies why commuting as find it far more interesting than the car radio. Why I am sure my antenna is great for 446 etc I feel I could do with improving the reception on Mil Air and CB frequencies. Is there an antenna that would give me reasonably good reception on all the mentioned frequencies. Is using a dual band 2m/70cm antenna losing me range on other frequencies and could I actually be better of with just a simple telescopic radio antenna (basically just a piece of wirecin the air ) rather than a antenna just for certain bands. I guess what I am after is something that will perform like a bicone antenna but would look okay on my car. Having separate antennas and just scanning through the band's separately is not really an option as the band's are fairly quiet, I want to pick up anything that happens to get in range. Also many of the youths here in mid Wales seem to be getting back into CB radio as there are lot of young drivers lately fitting Springer antennas to there cars, will be good if it catches on as it may bring more people into the radio hobby.
Southwales

Re: 2m/70cm diamond antenna why mobile scanning

Postby m0lsx » Thu May 31, 2018 10:39 pm

Southwales wrote:Is there an antenna that would give me reasonably good reception on all the mentioned frequencies. Is using a dual band 2m/70cm antenna losing me range on other frequencies and could I actually be better of with just a simple telescopic radio antenna (basically just a piece of wirecin the air ) rather than a antenna just for certain bands. I guess what I am after is something that will perform like a bicone antenna but would look okay on my car.

Discones were invented for aircraft use, by I seem to remember ITT. And designed for exactly the kind of use you describe. HOWEVER. You will have to build your Discone yourself, as few commercial so called discones are really discones or thus very wideband, plus almost all of the so called discones available are designed for base use & not mobile.
Without a very wideband antenna like a proper discone, any antenna used for scanning is going to be a compromise. But you might try a quad band antenna designed for the likes of an FT-8900, so 10, 6, 2 & 70.
I have tried a multiband telescopic antenna on my car & it was useless, the cars movement caused it to retract.And that claimed to be designed for mobile use.
Personally I just use a decent single band amateur radio antenna, or one of the dual band micro mags. Both seem to give fair results.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Re: 2m/70cm diamond antenna why mobile scanning

Postby Southwales » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:45 pm

I have used the dual band micro mags in the past and own a couple, 2 of them are supposedly Nagoya branded, my only concern was the very thin rg174 coax losing a lot of the signal. There is no mistaking that my diamond dual band outperforms the mini mag on 2m/70cm bands. But can not confirm on mil air and CB etc as there transmissions are so short or there on the move so it is hard to switch antennas for comparison...
Southwales

Return to Radio and Scanning Chat