Old hand new Technology where to start?

A place to talk about everything Radio and Scanning

Old hand new Technology where to start?

Postby Pete68 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:43 pm

Hello
Apologies with my first post jumping all over the place I hope it makes some sense in what I am trying to ask

I am surprised to see such a popular forum & great to see that people still have an active interest in scanning. Last time I used my scanner Yupi MVT 7100 must have been around 1999! Its been that long with so many changes I'm not sure where to start or if its worth trying to keep up with some the new changes. looking back HF was brilliant as were many parts of VHF & UHF.

Just tried my 7100, it's very quiet, really disappointed! I have came across articles for tapping the Yupi discriminator has anyone done this, if you have is it worth doing? Recently paid for KimmyJS19, credit to all who take their time to compile this and keep it up to date. Reasons why I bought it,
1. People who give a lot of their time to do something like this is A+
2. I would like to see what is available with so many changes

I am interested in PMR, duplex Digital trunking not clued up with this nor digital encryption. What choices do I have. Someone who has good knowledge what is better dongles, discriminator or a new scanner?

Seen a few listings for dongles like NooElec NESDR Mini RTL-SDR & DVB-T. Not used scanner for so long I do not know whats good and what to buy and what to avoid. I've seen several scanners on ebay some used, some new is it just throwing money away?

Thanks
Pete
Pete68

Re: Old hand new Technology where to start?

Postby jimh » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:43 pm

Welcome and welcome back to scanning.

Since the late 1990s I would say that the key changes since have been:
- All emergency services have gone TETRA digital
- Many PMR users such as taxis and couriers etc have gone to 3G/4G mobiles
- There are probably more radio users given the growth in cheap UHF chinese units etc
- Most PMR has or is going digital, usually DMR. Some will be encrypted now.
- VHF low band is very quiet (and noisy now)
- Civil and Mil air probably just as busy as ever

The 7100 is still a very good scanner: I use mine often to decode digital signals as it's very sensitive and easy to program. IMHO a discriminator tapped scanner is easier/better than using a dongle (but more expensive unless you have a 'spare' scanner). A dongle plus DSD+ is more of a package though, freeing up your 7100 for other things.

I would recommend three things for your 7100:
- an external aerial mounted as high as possible will make most improvement
- if you are competent with a soldering iron, add a discriminator tap and run it with the windows based DSD+ program to decode digital (including DMR)
- while your at it, and after all this time you might need to replace the capacitor that stores your memories: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSFlkAxZMs4
jimh

Postby Minus1 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:56 am

jimh wrote:- All emergency services have gone TETRA digital
Not completely true, fireground radios are still analog NFM in most areas.
And the coastguard are still analog FM.

- VHF low band is very quiet (and noisy now)
Yes, virtually dead here.
(Don't know why OFCOM don't look at extending FM broadcast downwards.)

I reserve the right to ignore people who have made no attempt to the read the manual, and expect others to do it for them.
Minus1

Postby m0lsx » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:22 am

Minus1 wrote:
jimh wrote:- VHF low band is very quiet (and noisy now)

Yes, virtually dead here.
(Don't know why OFCOM don't look at extending FM broadcast downwards.)

Because they plan to move all of the major broadcasters off FM band 3 & onto DAB. Only the smaller community stations & the free radio broadcasters will remain on FM.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby G4RMT » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:57 am

OT, but has anyone noticed that while the BBC see not future in shortwave, Smooth Radio do? They are quite active on SW broadcast bands. The FM broadcast bands EU wise are very busy - my car radio is bombarded with FM stuff at the moment. I can't see DAB working for a long while, and will then be more out of date than it currently is.
G4RMT

Postby m0lsx » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:41 am

G4RMT wrote:OT, but has anyone noticed that while the BBC see not future in shortwave, Smooth Radio do? They are quite active on SW broadcast bands. The FM broadcast bands EU wise are very busy - my car radio is bombarded with FM stuff at the moment. I can't see DAB working for a long while, and will then be more out of date than it currently is.

As far as I know Smooth do not have a licence for Shortwave. Ofcom could issue Shortwave licences like other European countries do. But they refuse to do so.
Germany licences the Mighty KBC, Trucker radio on 6095khz, as an example of what we could have.
Smooth has several Medium Wave TX's. But in general the MW TX's used by the big borg stations are not very well maintained & often run for weeks at a time with audio problems, as they are not interested in them.
In general it seems the Borg commercial Medium Wave TX's are run, simply to stop the licence from becoming available to anyone else.
DAB was out of date when it was initially proposed decades ago. It is a 1970's technology that needs more bandwidth per station than it is being given & is a low digital quality medium. But it will be forced through because it allows government control, as it is harder to start an unauthorised transmitter on DAB, than MW, SW or VHF FM & it's big money.
DAB is largely not stereo, like VHF FM & has much lower audio quality than radio via the TV or via a mobile phone, due to the bandwidth that is allowed. And the bandwidth is restricted to allow for more stations to be jammed onto the multiplexes than is sensible.
The money involved in DAB is amazing. If you want to broadcast to say Liverpool or Manchester, then expect to pay around £1million per year for low quality mono output. And that is why DAB will be forced through.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Return to Radio and Scanning Chat