Total Newbie Guidance - Manchester Airport

A place to talk about everything Radio and Scanning

Total Newbie Guidance - Manchester Airport

Postby Xr3iste » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:52 pm

HI, I have just been given an ALINCO DJ-X30E, I have no experience in using scanners but would like to try and have a go at listening in to aircraft as I live on the approach to Manchester Airport. I have no idea if the Scanner works properly or even if its capable of what I would like to do.
The unit seems to do everything such as changing frequencies/bands etc and I have somehow managed to pick-up FM radio stations. I have downloaded the instruction manual and had a quick overview, so now I am looking to try and listen in to air traffic approaching Manchester Airport (if I can).
Apologies for such lamens questions but what MODE do I need to set it to......and once on the right mode do I simply set the correct frequency for Manchester Approach ???

:embarrased: :embarrased:

Receiver range: 0.100 - 1299.995 MHz (Cellular frequencies 824.000 - 849.995MHz, 869.000 - 894.995MHz blocked on T models )
Mode: FM,WFM,AM
Xr3iste

Re: Total Newbie Guidance

Postby kiac2802 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:59 pm

Try programming in 455.550 on fm and also 455.762 on fm again and see if you hear anything, they are the frequencies for manchester tower.

Those are the ones i normally use.

Kieran
kiac2802

Postby Minus1 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:56 am

The defintive source of VHF Air frequencies for Manchester Airport is here:

http://www.ead.eurocontrol.int/eadbasic ... -11-08.pdf

via http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/public/in ... d=148.html

All VHF Airband freqs are AM
I reserve the right to ignore people who have made no attempt to the read the manual, and expect others to do it for them.
Minus1

Postby Minus1 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:01 am

EGCC Handling freqs:

130.65 AM Signature Manchester EGCC
131.4 AMn 131:|405 Menzies Manchester Ops EGCC
131.4333 AMn 131:435 Swissport Manchester EGCC
131.475 AM 131:480 Airline Services Manchester EGCC
131.56666 AMn 131:565 Aviator Manchester EGCC
131.625 AM 131:630 Premier Manchester EGCC
131.7916 AMn 131:790 EGCC Unidentified (used by Emirates 21)

(You'll need an 8.33 kHz capable radio, or one with narrow AM, to properly distinguish between adjacent 8.33 channels)
I reserve the right to ignore people who have made no attempt to the read the manual, and expect others to do it for them.
Minus1

Postby Alfie » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:45 pm

Manchester Airport Frequencies here
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=77
Alfie

Re: Total Newbie Guidance - Manchester Airport

Postby Xr3iste » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:35 pm

Apologies for the delay in reply, but THANKS so much for your advice, Im picking up lots of transmissions from MAN and Liverpool, Can I ask a few more newbie questions to help me further....

Living under the approach/depature into MAN I can listen to many transmissions but they are either very very brief or suffer from "noise" such as inteference or distortion.

regarding the speed of the broadcast how do you learn-ed follks understand what is said, and identify which aircraft is which, eg I am listening to the Scanner and also looking at Flightradar on my iPad, hoping to see and hear the same flight, So whats the protocol for want of a better word to match the broadcast, to the radar picture on my tablet? Is it simply a matter of experience decoding whats heard on the scanner or is there a logic to follow Any flight number callsign I seem to hear doesnt appear on the flightradar info. (hope that makes some sort of sense)

As for noise of inteference is there anything I can do to my particular scanner (ALINCO DJ-X30E) to enhance the reception.

Thanks again for assistance and patience :walkietalkie: :walkietalkie:
Xr3iste

Postby Minus1 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:32 am

An external antenna, or at least one far removed from any source of noise or interference, such as a computer, will help.
Use online flight trackers such as flightradar24 to track the aircraft you can hear.
Minus1

Postby Xr3iste » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:24 pm

I use flightradar but struggle to understand the callsign of the Aircraft, As I say I live on the approaches to MAN, so when I pick up a broadcast then try to look at flightradar, there is usually ahost of other aircraft in the area, combined with hearing such a fast transmission or a "garbled" one, its difficult to see which aircraft I am listening to.
When a Pilot or Controller initially communicates do they quote the Aircraft callsign first every time..... :embarrased: :embarrased: :embarrased:
Xr3iste

Postby Chris P » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:25 pm

Yes they either quote the flight call sign fully on first contact and then the last four digits on subsequent calls providing there are not two very similar callsigns under control by the same controller or if its not a commercial flight the first and last two digits of the reg ( on initial contact the full reg is used ) eg golf alpha November tango kilo initially can be abbreviated to golf tango kilo after the initial contact .

on an aside the air traffic control transmissions are not technically broadcasts as they are only intended for the aircraft or controller . The only broadcasts on airband are the ATIS and volmet transmissions which are transmitted to anyone that receives them and the ADSB transponder responses which also are for anyone who can receive them .
Regards Chris aka G8FFF nipper or tazmin88
Chris P

Return to Radio and Scanning Chat