Relative Newbie wanting Aerial Fit suggestions for Scanner

A place to talk about everything Radio and Scanning

Relative Newbie wanting Aerial Fit suggestions for Scanner

Postby todd198126 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:04 pm

Hi, I'm first started scanning in 1996 with a Realistic Scanner and rubber ducky and enjoyed listening to the Police and Mobile phones! Golden age of scanning!
I got onto the CB in about 1994/5 and all my school mates got a CB. Just recently I reignited my passion for scanning and although the Police and Mobile phones are no longer there, it is interesting to listen to DMR wth my new Whistler.

I currently have an aerial in mounted in the loft, I'm not sure the name of the aerial, but it's just a regular one, £25 worth about a metre in length.
But I'm not happy with the reception and want an aerial mounted on th chimney, I have found a compnay local to me that will fit the aerial if I supply it. But I don't want to put the aerial I have one the chimney because I think I could do with a better one. I want to pay no more than £50 for the aerial and then extra for Coax of course.

So could someone please give me an idea of what aerial would be best, I listen to the full range and as I say DMR a lot. The cable run would run from the chimney straight down the roof in through my bedroom and leave a few metres inside for movement. So a not exactly sure of coax length, maybe 20 meters?

I would be really thankful for some help and ideas, also where is the best place to buy an aerial, I bought the last of Ebay but would rather use a good quality supplier. Thanks in advance for your help and thanks for letting me join the forum!

Paul
todd198126

Re: Relative Newbie wanting Aerial Fit suggestions for Scann

Postby Throbber » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:35 pm

Hey Todd, welcome back to scanning.
It can be an expensive business dude so depending on your budget, here is my suggestion.
Firstly no matter what you spend on an antenna if the signal gets degraded bt cheap coax, it's a waste of money so go for RG213, it's a top quality coax, it can be a bit difficult to work with cos its very thick (about 10mm) and not very flexible, but persevere dude and the results will be as good as you can expect.

Antenna, now this a minefeild, everyone has their own favourites so it really is up to you.
i've used a Scan king for a couple of years and very happy with the results, its a wide band jobbie and suits me well.

Alan, a much respected member on here (M0lsx), has just posted about a true dis-cone type twig (A Hustler DCX) and i have to say that having checked it out, it is one i will be investing in 2019.
They're around £45 off fleabay and believe this would prove to be a good investment for you.

Link to Ebay:- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hustler-DCX- ... :rk:1:pf:0

Hope this helps mucker

Throbber

Uniden 125XLT
Uniden BCT 15X
Delta LT-318
Realistic PRO 2006
Realistic DX 300
QYT KT-7900D Quad Band
CRT SS9900
Air Band J Pole
Scan King SE 1500
Himalaya WB Antenna
Throbber

Postby G4RMT » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:12 pm

I'm lucky enough too have a number of antennas up and the lowest, but most useful is a discone - not the 'best' but very good at practically everything. The others, being band specific might be good at marine, better than the discone - but terrible on airband or on UHF. The discones are solid and reliable, and perform well everywhere, and you n' ask for more than that.
G4RMT

Postby Minus1 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:45 am

A thicker cable, whilst more expensive and less flexible, will generally give reduced attenuation and be more resistant to strong winds, and bird damage.
Terminating it to a wall box with a BNC socket will then give you the flexibility to connect it easily to your scanner.
I reserve the right to ignore people who have made no attempt to the read the manual, and expect others to do it for them.
Minus1

Return to Radio and Scanning Chat