AOR have pulled a rabbit out of the hat !

A place to talk about everything Radio and Scanning

Re: AOR have pulled a rabbit out of the hat !

Postby mickydt » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:53 pm

think it was working got what sounded like scrambled on quite a few frequencies.

as for auto mode the classic one on mine is that it thinks everything is dstar till it decides what it actually is. computers seem to have a mind of their own sometimes :ugeek:
supporting those with sickness and disabilities https://socialhub.forumotion.co.uk/
mickydt

Postby Metradio » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:52 pm

mickydt wrote:think it was working got what sounded like scrambled on quite a few frequencies....

Sounds about right, it depends where you are as to what you will hear, Airwave you will hear all over the UK..

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD.
WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q /UBCD3600XLT / WTR Browser.
Metradio

Postby Alfie » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:03 pm

mickydt wrote:think it was working got what sounded like scrambled on quite a few frequencies.

The main tetra airwave band 380-395MHz i have tried a lot. lots of activity and the aor is decoding it but everything is encrypted. it sounds like a cross between klingon and bubble and squeak. so close but yet so far :rolleyes:

so i heard you could not even decode without the keys etc. which aor have shown to be false? is this a step forward ? can encrypted audio be decoded off air any way ?
Alfie

Postby mickydt » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:38 pm

if think it will be a matter of time before the likes of dmr and tetra plus whatever will be unscrambled, many out there think not but going back years i remember when police scrambled their radios and then out came a uniden which could unravel it.

it has just taken so long for anything to come out over here my hair is getting grey just waiting :rolleyes:
supporting those with sickness and disabilities https://socialhub.forumotion.co.uk/
mickydt

Postby Metradio » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:49 pm

The Met Police 'Metradio' system was fairly easy to follow with a bit of software from the states and a lot of monitoring. Motorola and the Met got a bit upset when a radio magazine published an article on how it could be tracked, the editor and I both had visits by Ofcom or whoever they were called then, with threats to prosecute along the lines of inciting others to commit a crime :sad:

The weakness in the Airwave system is someone getting access to a radio and either reading the keys or cloning it... Marconi MASC was not cracked but a certain model of radio could be cloned within 2 minutes and used on the system till the keys were updated next..

Mike
Metradio

Postby Frequency Hopper » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:41 pm

Metradio wrote:The Met Police 'Metradio' system was fairly easy to follow with a bit of software from the states and a lot of monitoring. Motorola and the Met got a bit upset when a radio magazine published an article on how it could be tracked, the editor and I both had visits by Ofcom or whoever they were called then, with threats to prosecute along the lines of inciting others to commit a crime :sad:

Ahh Met Smartzone - Yes I know the system and I remember it well. I enjoyed monitoring the Met system. I lived in London in the late 80's and early 90's and then moved to Stoke in Staffordshire. Low and behold they had a similar system in use to the Met's Smartzone system which was called "Starnet". Both systems were in the VHF 152-156MHz FM analogue band. They frequency hopped in a minimal way. There would be a standard set of frequencies and they would transmit on one and then alternate to another. You could easily have all frequencies programmed in and follow conversations but when busy you would get each transmission in between of conversations.

it was great to listen to and you got a lot of varied incidents to listen to but I must admit when I then moved to a smaller town where they only had 2 main UHF channels (VHF was for region traffic bobbies) it was nice to follow everything even though it was quieter it was a lot more exciting to listen to.
Frequency Hopper

Postby Metradio » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:03 pm

The Met's Metradio system was UHF :laughs:

Mike
Metradio

Postby Frequency Hopper » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:23 pm

Metradio wrote:The Met's Metradio system was UHF :laughs:

Mike

Yes sorry an error in my posting but Smartzone UHF (Met Police) worked the same way as Starnet VHF (Staffs Police) as I detailed above so forgive the easy VHF/UHF error but the systems worked in the same way. :wink:
Frequency Hopper

Postby Metradio » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:45 pm

Yes you are quite right there...

Mike
Metradio

Postby m0lsx » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:47 pm

Norfolk Police did not use multiple channels, but when doing something like an observation they would use a scrambled system that an Alinco DJ-X3 would decode nicely. You had to occasionally adjust the descrambler, a click up or down to maintain clarity. But it was nothing too strenuous.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

PreviousNext

Return to Radio and Scanning Chat