UBC125XLT intermittent audio cut-out

A place to talk about everything Radio and Scanning

UBC125XLT intermittent audio cut-out

Postby wyattd916 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:45 pm

Hello. My first post here, I'm new to this.

I have bought a UBC125XLT and have managed to setup four bands for airfield frequencies near to me (which are Farnborough, Odiham, Lasham etc). I can successfully pick up transmissions from Farnborough radar whilst the unit scans that bank. All good so far.
But here is my problem. When it detects a transmission, I can hear the audio and the unit shows that frequency (and the tag I have assigned it), but I only hear the transmission for about a couple of seconds before it very temporarily cuts out and then continues. The display shows the frequency throughout, it's only the audio that has the temporary cut-out. If the transmission is for a while (say 10 seconds), then the cut-out will happen several times, (say 5 times). It makes it quite frustrating to listen to as you never quite get what is being said. If I listen using headphones, it's the same.

Does anyone else have this problem? Or is there something I'm doing wrong? I was going to return the unit for another, but thought I would reach out for help/advice here first.

Thanks in advance.
wyattd916

Re: UBC125XLT intermittent audio cut-out

Postby moj » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:10 pm

Make sure that your closecall is turned off and priority channel in your scan settings mate , thats the usual known cause ;)
moj

Postby wyattd916 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:20 pm

Fantastic! I tried both of those, and think it was the Priority Channel setting that did it. No cut-out now, so much better.

Thanks so much for the fast reply too.
wyattd916

Postby Scan125 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:07 pm

Also check that the Delay is not set to 0, -5 or -10. These setting will let the scanner resume scanning immediately after a 0, 5 or 10 second delay EVEN IF A SIGNAL IS STILL ACTIVE.

If you want to readily see your scanner settings, program it or take full virtual control of the scanner then you can use my *FREE* Scan125 Control Program (optional voluntary donation to DEBRA charity would be appreciated by them and me).

See my signature for link to Scan125.
Scan125

Postby wyattd916 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:38 pm

The delay for the channels is set to 2 seconds, which seems about right to me. Unfortunately, I'm a Mac user, so can't use Scan125 (I don't have Parallels or anything like that).
wyattd916

Postby Scan125 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:56 pm

wyattd916 wrote:The delay for the channels is set to 2 seconds, which seems about right to me. Unfortunately, I'm a Mac user, so can't use Scan125 (I don't have Parallels or anything like that).

You could use BOOTCAMP to natively boot Windows. If you have not got a Windows license then genuine W7 and W8.1 are pretty cheap these days. Alternatively W10 can be downloaded. This will run without activation but some user customisation functions are inhibited. None of these will affect Scan125. Also with W10 it already has a universal driver that works with the scanner.
Scan125

Return to Radio and Scanning Chat