COSPAS-SARSAT EPIRB Decoding

A place to talk about everything Radio and Scanning

COSPAS-SARSAT EPIRB Decoding

Postby royjcropper » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:15 pm

Good afternoon,

Has anyone had any success with 406MHz EPIRB decoding and if so, using what equipment? I would also be interested to hear what all you marine band monitors out there have in your set-ups.

Thanks,

Roy.
royjcropper

Re: COSPAS-SARSAT EPIRB Decoding

Postby deadite66 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:49 pm

Hi, never tried EPIRB monitoring.
for marine band monitoring i have a Rocket radio MARI-1 marine dipole connected to an Airspy R2 plugged into a laptop with linux on it running rtl_airband 24/7.
rtl_airband currently set up to constantly record 10 channels to mp3 when the squelch trips, though you can have as many as you want within the tuner bandwidth and cpu load.

the dipole and airspy are in the loft, i use a 10 meter active usb extension to connect to the laptop.
Airspy R2 on a Marine tuned dipole (Rocket Radio MARI-1)
24/7 Marine recording with RTLSDR_Airband
Airspy R2 on a Discone
Yupiteru MVT-9000 MKII telescopic ant.
deadite66

Re: COSPAS-SARSAT EPIRB Decoding

Postby royjcropper » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:49 pm

Good afternoon Deadite66,

I really like the sound of your Linux machine but I haven't got the knowledge or experience of computers, let alone Linux, to get something like that working myself.

There has been an EPIRB activation in my area in the last 12 months, I listened to the subsequent search on VHF. Thankfully, it proved to have been a false activation but it made me wonder. I'm aware of the DSCdecoder software and the fact the DV-10 has a COSPAS-SARSAT decoder as an extra, but I don't know of anyone that has practical experience of either.
royjcropper

Return to Radio and Scanning Chat