Newbie Q's :-)

A place to talk about everything Radio and Scanning

Newbie Q's :-)

Postby roundyuk » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:32 pm

Hey Guys,

Old timer CB'er (waay back) and just picked up a UBC125XLT after popping over to Lakenheath and Mildenhall from my folks new place - have a couple of questions if I may? :-)

I've got myself a copy of Scan125, and figuring that out to get my frequencies programmed in, been picking up a bit of London Control, RAF Odiham and Brize Norton as well as occasionally Middle Wallop. My first question is why the RAF airfields list two frequencies for approach and tower, is this for backup or is it military and civilian frequencies?

Secondly, my receiver came with a Nagoya NA-771 144/430, and a telescopic job. I bought a Watson W881 also as I'd read some good things about them - which should I run with out of the Nagoya and the Watson?

I am near Aldermaston and have been getting some decent signal from what I've mentioned above, even managed to correlate some of them with Flightrader24!

Thanks in advance!
roundyuk

Re: Newbie Q's :-)

Postby Chris P » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:52 pm

there are often two separate controllers for approach and tower so hence the two frequencies. In addition there is also a ground frequency which is used to control aircraft taxying to and from the runway . On reaching the holding point the ground controller will pass the a/c on to the tower controller who after the a/c takes off will pass it on to either the approach or even the zone comtroller . There are also often both VHF and UHF frequencies for each controller which are sometimes band boxed ie both activated by the same controller simultaneously , this ensures all ac are aware of any traffic in the area and its location/status . The VHF frequencies are often used by civilian a/c using the airfield as most civil ac only have VHF radios . Mil a/c usually carry both VHF and UHF radios

The larger airbases which have often more aircraft movements will have more controllers each being responsible for controlling a/c in various stages of their missions plus others controlling civilian a/c in the airspace around the base .
hope this helps

Regarding which antenna to use you should try each trying all will enable you to see which works best for you and which is your preferred band ie VHF or uhf ,as one may be better on uhf rather than VHF or vice versa
Regards Chris aka G8FFF nipper or tazmin88
Chris P

Re: Newbie Q's :-)

Postby roundyuk » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:02 am

Cheers Chris, super helpful that, much appreciated!
roundyuk

Return to Radio and Scanning Chat