PDW Pager Decoder

A place to talk about everything Radio and Scanning

PDW Pager Decoder

Postby welshmonitor » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:40 pm

I have posted this question on the PDW forum, but have not received any replies, maybe somebody here can help please.

I have not used PDW for a while, and decided to start using it again today however I get an error box that says " ERROR: Unable to open Audio Device"

I have checked all the audio/sound settings on my PC (windows 10) and everything seems in order, however I still get the error.

I am currently connected via the soundcard of my PC, with a Discriminator Tap fitted to my Uniden BCT15X.

I have also gone into the interface menu in PDW and selected the correct settings, but when I click ok I get the same error again.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to correct this please??

Ps I have uninstalled & reinstalled PDW, but still no joy

Any help much appreciated

Thanks
welshmonitor

Re: PDW Pager Decoder

Postby rozbiff » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:01 pm

Which Audio Device is PDW trying to open?

ie. The highlighted part in the screengrab.
Does it show as 'Ready' in Windows Sound Settings and 'Enabled' in Sound Properties?
rozbiff

Postby welshmonitor » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:42 pm

It is trying to open the LineIn audio of my soundcard, just a quick query....I havent got a Virtual Audio Cable setup on this PC.

Do you think that could be the problem??

If it is then I need a smack in the head for making such a rookie error :dizzy:
welshmonitor

Postby maylandmanta » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:07 pm

Is Line in set as your default recording sound input ? (control panel - hardware & sound - manage sound devices - recording )Should show green level bars in box if it is receiving audio when you turn on radio .You don't need virtual audio cable if your sound input from scanner is connected directly to sound card line in.

Steve
maylandmanta

Postby welshmonitor » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:06 pm

Thanks for the replies, yes the Line In is set as the Default device in the recording tab & my speakers are set as the Default device in the Playback tab. With the scanner connected via a 3.5mm audio cable from my discriminator port (that I installed in the scanner) to the Line In jack of my PC, I can see the green bars in the Recording Tab & the Playback tab.

It is really weird because I have never had this trouble with PDW before, that makes me think it is either a windows 10 problem or a soundcard problem. I installed PDW on my daughter's laptop and it works perfectly :dizzy:

As soon as I open PDW without the cable from the scanner to the PC attached I get the error straight away.

The one thing I have noticed is that in the interface setup menu of PDW that the Soundcard option displays " 1 Line In Realtek High Definition " however this is greyed out & I am not able to select anything there.

Thanks for help & advice received so far

Regards
welshmonitor

Postby rozbiff » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:46 pm

VAC not required in your case.

welshmonitor wrote:......
As soon as I open PDW without the cable from the scanner to the PC attached I get the error straight away.

The one thing I have noticed is that in the interface setup menu of PDW that the Soundcard option displays " 1 Line In Realtek High Definition " however this is greyed out & I am not able to select anything there.

Without the cable attached? Why are you trying to start it without any input? Windows is reporting it has one sound device on the system but it's reporting that that sound device isn't active.
rozbiff

Postby welshmonitor » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:48 pm

My apologies that should have said With or Without the cable attached. I tried both to see if I got the same problem and yes I do.

Sorry for the confusion, Will try to be more precise in the future :smiles: :thumbup:
welshmonitor

Postby rozbiff » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:36 am

I don't normally use the line in but tried it to see if I got any different behaviour from the VAC lines I use.

Plugged in a cable from an Optocom and a window pops up asking me if it's microphone or line in that I am using (motherboard detects which socket and front socket is combined mic/line).
Selected line and selected in PDW - all was well.
No idea if it will help but this is what the various settings looked like:

rozbiff

Postby maylandmanta » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:56 am

Just a silly thing perhaps , but have you ticked the soundcard box in PDW setup as this will cause the sound input to be greyed out ? I've forgotten myself before and wondered what was wrong . PDW works fine for me on Win10 so would seem to rule that out unless some recent update has caused an issue with your setup . Is the little meter needle flicking up and down at all in the top RH corner ? If not it suggests PDW cannot find the audio input from the soundcard . With the radio on can you hear the hissing sound from the discriminator input through the computer speakers ? if so all would seem Ok from the computer sound settings side.

Steve
maylandmanta

Postby welshmonitor » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:34 pm

Thanks for the reply Steve,

Yeah, I can hear the audio through the PC speakers absolutely fine, but the needle in the top right of PDW just does not move at all.

This is why I think it could be a Line-In or soundcard problem that I am experiencing, I have tried uninstalling the sound drivers & reinstalling them & I have run the Windows troubleshooting for sound etc but everything seems fine.

I just really am stuck as to what could be the problem with it?

Regards

Dave
welshmonitor

Next

Return to Radio and Scanning Chat