Airspy R2 + DAB radio??

A place to talk about everything Radio and Scanning

Airspy R2 + DAB radio??

Postby RobBain » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:42 pm

Hi all

Today's project is to set up my (lovely) R2 for DAB reception - but I'm not receiving anything.

I downloaded two decoders: welle.io and qt-dab. I can't get welle.io to work at all and I can't get qt-dab to recognise any stations! Schoolboy errors, probably.

Anyone got any recommendations/tips?

Many thanks,

Rob
RobBain

Re: Airspy R2 + DAB radio??

Postby pnoelw » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:28 pm

Hi Rob
I don't have an Airspy but i do use qt-dab with an SDRPlay RSP2. If you have the latest Qtdab v2 then it may be able to control your airspy directly. Have you set the receiver in the main display to "airspy". There are 3 rows of 3 buttons at the botom right of the main screen. the radio selector is the middel row on the left. Also hit the spectrum button and you'll see the signal come up. THere may/should be another small panel titled airspy control which will enable you to control the gain and agc.
Hope this may be of some help.
Let us know how you get on.
Noel.
pnoelw

Postby rozbiff » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:40 pm

I have used welle.io v1 and V2 on a windows 10 PC with an airspy R2 as well as with several cheaper rtl device variants. The GUI could be made more intuitive but the software is otherwise easy to use. It is based on the same code as qt-dab.

It might help others to help you if you gave a bit more information about what you did and saw.
rozbiff

Postby RobBain » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:34 pm

Hi Noel

Many thanks for swinging back to me. I've been playing around some more and I've been getting results:

1. Yep - receiver set to Airspy.
2. Initially lots of clicks and screeches (horrible noise!), but gain controls sorted that out.

The one thing I can't get to grips with (for now) is the scan function. I had hoped it would work like my TV set-up scanner (find and store all channels) but it seems that every time I scan, it wipes the stored channels.

My other minor gripe is that it is stand-alone. I'm a SRD# user and would love to find a DAB convertor that could be integrated within that.

Thanks again,

Rob

pnoelw wrote:Hi Rob
I don't have an Airspy but i do use qt-dab with an SDRPlay RSP2. If you have the latest Qtdab v2 then it may be able to control your airspy directly. Have you set the receiver in the main display to "airspy". There are 3 rows of 3 buttons at the botom right of the main screen. the radio selector is the middel row on the left. Also hit the spectrum button and you'll see the signal come up. THere may/should be another small panel titled airspy control which will enable you to control the gain and agc.
Hope this may be of some help.
Let us know how you get on.
Noel.
RobBain

Postby RobBain » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:29 pm

Apols - you're quite right.

I downloaded and installed the welle-io program, and have pointed it at my Airspy (device confirmed under Service Details). The spectrum shows active frequencies (suggesting that the connection with my Airspy has been successful) but when I hit Start Station Scan it doesn't find any stations!

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Rob

rozbiff wrote:I have used welle.io v1 and V2 on a windows 10 PC with an airspy R2 as well as with several cheaper rtl device variants. The GUI could be made more intuitive but the software is otherwise easy to use. It is based on the same code as qt-dab.

It might help others to help you if you gave a bit more information about what you did and saw.
RobBain

Postby rozbiff » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:59 pm

Thanks Rob.....

With welle.io - in the settings what do you have the gain set to? There is a choice of auto or manual. I'd suggest Manual with a setting around 16/17 (from memory the default is Manual and 0...which would certainly give some spectrum activity but no DAB locks. Then do the scan.

The station list will be stored and unless you make some major change you shouldn't need to rescan often.
rozbiff

Postby RobBain » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:19 pm

Found channels: 41!!!

That fixed it immediately. The gain was, indeed, set at zero. Adjusted it manually and it all started to work!! Many thanks indeed rozbiff.

Final question concerns closing the program down. When I do I get a message saying "The program will keep running in the system tray. To terminate the program choose <b>Quit<b> in the context menu of the system tray...". Do you know anything about that? Then I'll leave you alone - promise :smiles:

Kind regards - and thanks again,

Rob

rozbiff wrote:Thanks Rob.....

With welle.io - in the settings what do you have the gain set to? There is a choice of auto or manual. I'd suggest Manual with a setting around 16/17 (from memory the default is Manual and 0...which would certainly give some spectrum activity but no DAB locks. Then do the scan.

The station list will be stored and unless you make some major change you shouldn't need to rescan often.
RobBain

Postby mickydt » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:36 pm

i saw this and love trying to get programs working downloaded wello and thought it wouldn't work and it is working but a bit buggy, still in beta.

go to settings turn automatic rf gain to manual and set it to around 17 and auto detect to manual make sure to have a very good aerial as well.

once you have done these settings then do a scan on mine i have quite a few stations and am sat here listening to absolute 80's

all the best and hope you get it working.
supporting those with sickness and disabilities https://socialhub.forumotion.co.uk/
mickydt

Postby m0lsx » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:46 pm

Does this do just DAB or is it DAB+ too?
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby rozbiff » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:12 pm

m0lsx wrote:Does this do just DAB or is it DAB+ too?

DAB+ as well
rozbiff

Next

Return to Radio and Scanning Chat