My outdoor aerial is now up

A place to talk about everything Radio and Scanning

My outdoor aerial is now up

Postby Iain59 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:09 pm

After waiting a year since I bought my Scan King S-2000 Base Station Scanner Antenna Aerial and then waited a week to get the correct N-Type plug it is now mounted at the back of my house about 30ft high. Did my first test tuned to Heathrow which about 10 miles with my Uniden UBC125XLT and its aerial getting about half scale on the metre then plugged in the Scan King and got full signal from ground and aircraft.Then I started flicking through the pre programmed and got a good signal from ground and aircraft from RAF Mona Anglesey I'm very impressed so far. Anyone else using the same antenna?
Iain59

Re: My outdoor aerial is now up

Postby Minus1 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:41 pm

If you are 10 miles from Heathrow, you ain't picking up RAF Mona no matter how tall your antenna is! :rolleyes:
Snowdonia is in the way for one thing, not to mention the curvature of the earth!
What freq do you think you are getting from Mona?

Mona Radio 118:955 shares a frequency with Gatwick Director 118.95
I reserve the right to ignore people who have made no attempt to the read the manual, and expect others to do it for them.
Minus1

Re: My outdoor aerial is now up

Postby Iain59 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:07 pm

Hi its one of the pre programs channels 118.9500 which I have discovered is Gatwick Approach 2 but even so a very good signal not available with standard handhend aerial not even on Hogsback (A31).
Iain59

Return to Radio and Scanning Chat