AOR 8600 MK2 Help Help

A place to talk about everything Radio and Scanning

Re: AOR 8600 MK2 Help Help

Postby jimh » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:21 pm

Ok, it might be worth you spending a little more time getting familiar with the manual of this scanner:....I don't have an AOR, but there are some basics to get to grips with:

- When you press SCAN you are getting the receiver to cycle through/sample several stored frequencies in memory: if there is no carrier on any of these frequencies, and/or you haven't programed each memory them correctly, it won't hit on anything. This will explain the 'numbers just going round'....it's cycling round not finding anything. And it only looks like you only have maybe 5 (?) memories stored where there isn't a lot of activity?

- When you SeaRCH you are getting the receiver to step through each part of the spectrum between the limits set for that bank, with the modulation set for that bank, and according to the step size set. By the end of the video it looks like the default setting for Bank 'a' is 8.33khz step but NFM....you need to modify that.
jimh

Postby Chris P » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:34 pm

fully concur with jimh search banks and scan banks are independently programmed. I suggest you try using the VFO mode on a few frequencies that you know give good signals so that you can confirm the scanner is working as it should . Once this is confirmed you can program these into a scan bank (ensuring the mode and step are programmed as they were in VFO mode ) Then scan the scan bank to see if mode and steps don't change, this will then confirm that the CPU is not playing up .

You have not confirmed if you have a copy of the manual If you are in possession of the AOR manual I can guide you to the pages that will assist you in setting up the search banks .
Regards Chris aka G8FFF nipper or tazmin88
Chris P

Postby Iain59 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:30 pm

Hi Chris yes I do have the manual.
Iain59

Postby Iain59 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:13 pm

Just had a call from the seller the scanner has been stored in his loft for 5 years this could be a problem?
Iain59

Postby jimh » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:07 pm

....from what I can see in the videos you've posted, there's nothing wrong with the scanner, regardless of how long it may or not have been in storage for.

You just get to get to grips with how you are programming it. Have a go at setting up a search bank properly, using the manual as a guide, if not it looks like Chris P can kindly lend you a little bit of help.
jimh

Postby Iain59 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:50 pm

Haven't turned it on since the weekend and now it is doing this I think I need help from Chris.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZTQqqZC048
Iain59

Postby Chris P » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:37 am

that indicates it is in VFO mode with both vfos set at 88Mhz which is the status once a soft reset has been carried out ( see page 139 of the manual) . try programming in a known local frequency setting the step size and mode appropriately The start point for using VFO is on page 24 , the best frequency to try for civil airband will be your local airport ATIS which will be a continuous transmission on am and with a step size of 8.33Khz .Alternatively try one of the active local frequencies you can receive on your hand held , ( again ensure the mode and step size are set correctly )

now read page 76 of the manual and reprogram a search bank as per page 78 section 8-4 In theory the frequency range for the civil airband should be 118Mhz to 137 Mhz with modulation set to AM and step to 8.33Khz.

A word of warning however do not expect many hits while doing a search of such a wide range due to the duration of airband comms transmissions which are often only of a few seconds and a search can take many seconds to complete the range . It is best to program known local frequencies modes and steps into a memory bank and scan that memory bank to get the most hits . If you really want to use the search facility try cutting the range down into smaller chunks of say 3-5 Mhz

the range 118 -137 Mhz at a step size of 8.33Khz and the step rate of 37 steps per second will take over a minute and a half so the chance that your receiver will latch onto short duration transmissions is relatively low .
Chris P

Postby Iain59 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:39 pm

I have given this up spent hours wasting time it just does not work so it is sold and I have a Uniden BDC536HP on its way, here is the desciption of it.

Rare Uniden BCD536HP Digital scanner with DMR & NXDN activated (I originally paid £112 on top of device cost to activate these).

This is a base / mobile version of the UBCD3600XLT handheld sold in the UK. However this particular scanner is not actually sold directly in Europe, making it a rare find! Usually if you order this radio you will pay huge import fees and taxes. However this one is already in the UK, and available without any import duty or taxes :-)

It is running the latest Uniden Firmware for the x36 series radios (v 1.26.00) and includes the July 2019 database for US & Canada. This scanner is fully working with no known problems, and has DMR & NXDN updates applied.

Because the updates are activated, you can receive digital transmissions including :
Iain59

Postby Iain59 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:47 am

Well I have no got the Uniden BCD536HP and it is the best scanner I have seen, out of the box it has a least 3 times more chanells already programs.
Iain59

Postby Chris P » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:28 pm

It may have more programmed channels but how many of them are US/Canada based . You may find a lot of the programmed channels will not be active this side of the pond
Chris P

PreviousNext

Return to Radio and Scanning Chat