Re: Listening in at Sports events....

A place to talk about everything Radio and Scanning

Postby USAFE501 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:57 am

Hi Everyone, :smiles:

Quick question for you all - Over the weekend , the NFL played one of its American Football games at Wembley (I believe there played at Tottenham's ground few weeks back also ?)....I know that there is radio comms from the sideline into some of the players helmets , anyone know of frequencies , type of transmission eg DMR or P25 ? did anyone hear anything ?

I know there were posts on here recently with info on some of the Cycle races that took place such as air to ground, tv directors, race team cars etc... another sport I see radio is part of is the "over the ear" receivers that I think rebroadcast the tv sound and commentary from Sky sports for the Test Match cricket , any idea on frequencies ?

Finally , I know Formula 1 has many radio links between car and pits with voice , telemetry , pit crews (some of the crews have up to 3 handhelds around their waist !!!) and with the sort of money involved encryption must be the order of the day , but what about lower down the ladder such as British Touring Cars,Porsche Super Cup...any ideas ?

As always , thanks in advance :thumbup: :thumbup:

USAFE501
USAFE501

Postby mhm » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:37 am

I do track days at racing circuits up north. Most of the Marshalls are now on NXDN. Always take my 3 scanners to find any frequencies used NXDN was found with my TRX1 as nothing showing up on analogue scanners.
Whistler TRX1, Uniden 396T, Icom R5,TSC100RA, Yaesu FTA-310
mhm

Postby jimh » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:14 pm

Hi, ok lots of questions....

NFL: in the US they use UHF 2W handhelds, DMR, usually encrypted. Not sure if they brought their gear to the UK or rented while here. NFL Teams typically paranoid about their security!
https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.p ... eague_(NFL)

>"over the ear" receivers that I think rebroadcast the tv sound
Usually radio commentary that will broadcast on one of the low power restricted service licence "event" Broadcast FM frequencies eg 87.7MHz

>Formula 1 has many radio links between car and pits with voice , telemetry , pit crews (some of the crews have up to 3 handhelds around their waist !!!) and with the sort of money involved encryption must be the order of the day , but what about lower down the ladder such as British Touring Cars,Porsche Super Cup...any ideas ?

Formula 1: Multichannel UHF TETRA system for all F1 Teams (except 1), FOM, FIA, Porsche Supercup, many F2 Teams, several F3 teams: all unencrypted. The other F1 team, plus remaining F2 and F3 teams are NXDN9600. Again unencrypted

Most British tin-top and sportscar racing series will use radios: e.g. BTCC, British GT etc. The VHF Short Term Hire frequencies is a good place to start. For larger series eg British GT they will use repeaters as well. Predominantly NXDN9600, some NXDN4800 and some still analogue. Some series use what is called a racereceiver - a small listen-only pager-like receiver that allows the drivers to hear the race director calling safety cars/penalties etc.

For any international series visiting the UK (eg Le Mans, DTM etc) it varies. VHF NXDN9600 is most common, but can be up and down the VHF and UHF PMR bands, NXDN/DMR/Analogue/occasionally TETRA. Occasionally encrypted (especially one Italian radio supplier who likes to encrypt the pit/race engineer comms, but not the driver comms).

Most racing circuits as mhm points out are NXDN4800 on VHF now. A few channels are encrypted.

HTH

Jim
jimh

Postby USAFE501 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:57 pm

Hi Guys,
MHM and Jim -really appreciate both of your replies. :thumbup: :thumbup:
As always, for me this forum has provided brilliant responses that I will go over and put into practice and see what happens.....

If i hear anything of interest or note and if appropriate will post on here in as much details as possible - obviously alot of the sporting events I mentioned have come to and end for 2019 , but gives me a great starting point for 2020.

Thanks again,
USAFE501 :wave: :wave: :wave:
USAFE501

Return to Radio and Scanning Chat