External speaker for Uniden 125 xlt

A place to talk about everything Radio and Scanning

External speaker for Uniden 125 xlt

Postby ahammond » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:24 am

Okay so for my birtday I have been given a Uniden 125xlt. It is a nice bit of kit for what I want to do, just listening to the coming and goings at my local airport Newcastle. In fact it picks up all sorts of other stations including Dublin and London control. The only snag is that the built in speaker is a bit tinny and hard for me to hear. I have looked at the Uniden BC15 and 23A speakers and was wondering if either would make any difference? The 23a I appreciate needs an external DC power supply. But that is not too difficult to rig up from a spare phone charger or similar. But would it be worth the extra cost over the 15? Any advice from more experienced users welcom
ahammond

Re: External speaker for Uniden 125 xlt

Postby Scan125 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:31 pm

Regarding 125XLT external speaker(s) then you have 3 options:

1) A passive external speaker with an impedance of 24 ohms or more. 16 ohms may be ok but 8ohms or 4 ohms will certainly overload the scanners audio output circuitry.

2) External powered speakers. Any are that suitable for PCs, music players, etc. will be fine as long as they have audio jack input. If you are thinking of portable vehicle use then there are self powered speakers (like all the bluetooth examples) that also have audio jack/cable input

3) Connection to your PC's audio card and system speakers for base station / home use. If you have a laptop with crappy speakes or a PC with no speakers then the external powered speakers in 2) would be the route to go down AND maintain a mobile ability. You may even have a sound system in your car with and aux input

I have no experience of the Uniden models you mention.

BC15 - I note that the BC15 is an non-powered speaker of 8 ohms and may be a challenge for the 125XLT to drive. I note that the BC15 instructions say to plug it into the EXTERNAL SPEAKER jack. The 125XLT does not have an external speaker jack. Only a headphone jack.

BC23A is rated at 8W output. At 12V that is a minimum of 700mA capability from the external power supply. Most modern phone chargers have settled on 5V USB.

Don't forget to check out my free Scan125 Control Program. See link in my signature.
Scan125

Postby ahammond » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:55 pm

Thanks for the reply. The BC15 is advertised as suitable for the 125xlt. A 12volt supply for the BC23a is no problem as I have several disused transformers knocking about from my fish keeping activities as well as some older phone chargers that supply 12v. Altenatively model railway transformers are cheap and easily available new and used. It is mainly the quality of the sound produced by the speakers that I am interested in finding out about. Thanks for the link to your program but I am not that tech minded when it comes scanners and downloading things. Which was why I paid the extra to have the airband preloaded when i ordered the 125
ahammond

Postby radiostationx » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:36 pm

The Motorola 4 ohm speakers are very good, they are made so that the state trooper can hear base whilst he is outside the vehicle frisking his latest suspect.

Not a small unit but made and tailored for voice communications and they are certainly robust. Been around for years , sometimes Motorola speakers can be picked up on ebay.

New ones are not that expensive and it will do the job for a couple of decades easy.

https://www.2wayradioshop.co.uk/motorola-external-speaker-13w-849.html

The 125 like others in the bearcat family have feeble audio power im afraid. Only Uniden would make a handheld scanner with a puny raspy ass (32 ohm I think) internal speaker that you cannot hear when you are anywhere near noise..like when plane spotting. Plus why on earth they would make a scanner which is totally unusable without first becoming a computer programming wizard is beyond me. As you can probably tell Im not a big fan but that said lots and lots of keen spotters absolutely love their 125s.

Mike

http://www.merseyradar.co.uk
radiostationx

Postby ahammond » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:24 pm

Sorry to be a pain but do you know if the Motorola will plug into the 125 headphone socket? I am quite pleased with the 125 as compared with the Uniden base scanner that I previously used it is a doddle to operate and I can even understand most of the user manual. It is just that tinny speaker that lets it down.
ahammond

Postby Scan125 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:50 pm

ahammond wrote:Thanks for the reply. Thanks for the link to your program but I am not that tech minded when it comes scanners and downloading things. Which was why I paid the extra to have the airband preloaded when i ordered the 125

Well I hear what you say and understand that. However if you have a PC and a Browser (Internet Explorer, Edge, Firefox, others) then you are 90% plus on the way to using Scan125.

I offer all Scan125 users full Email support and when/as required UK phone call support to get anybody up and running with Scan125.

Enjoy your UBC125XLT. It is a great and well respected scanner and much used for Air Band.
Scan125

Return to Radio and Scanning Chat