PRESIDENT LINCOLN 2

Forum for CB, PMR, Ham, Business users, GMRS, Repeaters and all other TX Chat

PRESIDENT LINCOLN 2

Postby T2tim » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:38 pm

I took delivery of this radio a week ago and have noticed the scan button/key is not lit up like the other keys, or else very dim on the front panel. I assume the scan button is supposed to be lit up like the other keys? although iam aware the menu key is not. its still the same even if I activate the scan feature too. if I had purchased secondhand I wouldnt even bother to question this but because ive bought new I need to ensure that everything is as its supposed to be, so is it supposed to be this way? if you take a look at MO0GYS review you will see the issue is present here too, which would lead you to believe its either a characteristic of the radio or a common problem with these radios. any help would be appreciated. ive also included a link here from simon the wizard who has the same problem but his radio is 2 years old where as mine is new so that concerns me a bit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DL689DPlF4 I would like to hear from other Lincoln 2 owners especially those who who have only owned their radio for a few months.
Last edited by T2tim on Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T2tim

Re: PRESIDENT LINCOLN 2

Postby T2tim » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:40 pm

That said here it seems to have completely given up the ghost: http://simonthewizard.com/2015/10/22/bl ... he-colour/
T2tim

Postby T2tim » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:44 pm

Am I being too fussy? or should I query this with the retailer?
T2tim

Postby m0lsx » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:10 pm

Given what they charge for these CB's it should all work properly.
I looked at a Lincoln 2 last year when I was looking for a 10 meter radio, as it was the only CB that had CTCSS. But I decided against it after reading a few reviews, plus the price was silly for a single band radio & added to that I really did not want a radio with a PA facility or a roger beep & why the hell fit LSB to a radio that does not go within 15 mhz of needing it??
In the end I paid £200 for a spotless secondhand Alinco DX-70th which gave me 10 meters on 100 watts, not 30 watts, plus I had all of HF & 6 meters too.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl?cx=017721449704518888595:wswa65nq4ww
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby T2tim » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:26 pm

thanks for that. iam aware there have been issues with this radio which is probably why there were three versions introduced in just the space of a few months. early problems with V1 were noisy or deaf receivers, issues with the channel change knob etc. I only purchased it because I wanted a small 10m radio for the car that had a VFO, and one that didnt break the bank. most export radios dont have VFO's which annoys me , bugs me to be honest! one thing is certain however, the Lincoln 2 will never hold the same popularity as the original, which was actually a better radio alltogether, even if it was more basic feature wise. interestingly the Grant 2 is a better performer, and I believe thats because its made by Uniden but the Lincoln 2 is not! I believe its chinese made. But Ive never seen an Alinco DX70 that cheap you got a good buy there.
T2tim

Postby T2tim » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:48 am

After discussing this issue on a Facebook radio group it seems that this is a common problem on the Lincoln 2. I dont believe this radio is made by Uniden though like many people assume, because Uniden pulled out of 10m radio production years ago. I recently watched a video review created by Simon the wizard on the Alinco DR135uk which we know to be an Anytone radio. He stated: "there is a lot of president in this radio but I know people will hate me for saying that" but I think the real truth is that there is a lot of Anytone in the Lincoln 2! A retailer I do not wish to name recently opened up the Lincoln 2 and Grant 2 in order to make a comparison, and they found the internals of the Lincoln to be totally different to the Grant 2, with no typical Uniden characteristics whatsoever. When I asked them if the internals resembled Anytone they responded: "I would prefer not to comment on that" but most of us know they make the CRE 8900, Alinco DR135, etc etc.......and I suspect they probably make the Lincoln 2 too. But I think the Grant 2 is a Uniden radio, which may explain why it performs better than the Lincoln 2. Iam not fussed because ive got both, but it may upset some who believe they have purchased a Uniden based radio in all good faith. Your thoughts people?
T2tim

Postby m0lsx » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:35 am

Nothing new there. My sister use to work in a canning factory that canned food for a wide variety of companies. Sometimes what went into the cans were different for cheap & expensive, often it was not.
People are happy to pay a premium to have a label, because in the largest part they assume & don't bother about reality.
And to be fair if anyone has bought a CB because they believed it had a Uniden interior, then as the guy who taught me Hypnosis always said. "Don't tell me what you think, believe, guess or presume. Tell me what you know."
Belief is not not knowing & if you know you should be able to back up that knowledge with provable evidence. So anyone who only believed it had a Uniden interior & were happy to pay £200 on something they only believed was something it was not, has only gone & proved that a fool & their money are easily parted.
I came close to buying a Lincoln 2 & there are plenty of reviews out there. The radios have issues & it is hardly a secret that it has needed many modifications to get to the flawed state it currently is. Having said that, it's not too bad a radio, but as it exists, it was not worth over £200 or more to me. so I used my money else where.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl?cx=017721449704518888595:wswa65nq4ww
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby T2tim » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:09 pm

I agree entirely, now its reached version 3 its not bad but its certainly not worth £200, infact some retailers are asking over £200 for the radio. I only paid £185 for mine, and that was new, but that was only because I had some issues with the shop over a previous item I had bought from then and they decided to reduce the price. really when you think about it, if you use your common sense and look at Uniden's history its obvious they dont manufacture it, but people are just blinded by the brand name as you say. I only bought it because I wanted an export radio with a VFO and that kind of limits your choice somewhat. ideally I would like an Icom 706 or simular, but having been virtually spent up on radio gear I cant afford it at present. ive spent a lot of money over the last few months on Amateur HT's and scanners etc..............and it all mounts up lol. the only way I could buy one now is by dipping into my savings again, which iam not doing now because ive done far too much of that recently! a time comes when you have to say enough is enough otherwise you could just carry on untill you are completely drained of money.
T2tim

Return to The TX'ers Forum