Standard Horizon GX 1400 GPS Transceiver

Forum for CB, PMR, Ham, Business users, GMRS, Repeaters and all other TX Chat

Standard Horizon GX 1400 GPS Transceiver

Postby mike43 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:12 am

Not sure if this is the right place for this. A couple of months ago a friend of mine who lives a few steps from the shore at Dungeness brought round a transceiver he was thinking of using solely for ear wigging the local marine traffic around his part of the coast. He said that he got it from another person near him. He said to me that it keeps blowing fuses. I have enough knowledge to see straight away that somebody had done the business on it. The radio had the usual two wires red and black with the red wire having an inline fuse. But some donkey had fitted a 13amp plug on the end of the wires and plugged the thing into the mains so probably mullering it altogether. He said that the plug was on it when he was given it. I took the plug off and put the radio through a 13.8 volt power pack but it was dead. Not being up on the workings etc. of the inside of the radio is it possible that the fuse blew before any harm came to the radio or is it the end altogether, had its "chips" so to speak. Is there any way that this radio could work again without major repairs. Mike.
mike43

Re: Standard Horizon GX 1400 GPS Transceiver

Postby maylandmanta » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:41 am

I would think it's completely had it if it's had 240v through it . I would open the case up and have a look inside in case there is an integral fuse as well and for signs of scorching on the pcb , but in all probability the PCB is more than likely had it , rendering it beyond economic repair

Steve
maylandmanta

Postby radiostationx » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:17 am

The protection diode will be toast for sure, look on the pcb/ B+ rail just after the DC connector there will be a 1N5402 there or something similar and a capacitor something like a 25v 2200uf, that will be shredded as well. The PCB tracks may be burnt broken around there, have a good look around. Some of the standard/yaesu marine radios are a real pain to get access though. Not a bad thing in use but to repair, the enclosures are sometimes ipx8 rated.
radiostationx

Postby mike43 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:17 pm

Thanks for answers, I will get the radio down from the loft and have a good look inside. Mike.
mike43

Return to The TX'ers Forum