DMR repeaters

Forum for DMR, dPMR, NEXEDGE, Mototrbo, MARC, Tetra & all other DIGITAL modes

DMR repeaters

Postby PalMal » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:47 pm

Really enjoying listening in on DMR using DSD+ but I cannot get my head around how DMR repeaters work? I would if possible like to hear international traffic as well as UK traffic but is it only some DMR repeaters that carry international traffic and if so which ones? I am located in Newport Gwent and listen in on Bristol repeater and BridgeEnd and so far have only heard UK traffic on Bristol repeater.
Paul.
PalMal

Re: DMR repeaters

Postby Im_Listening » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:42 pm

Check on opendmr what network they're on, some don't have national/international talk groups
Whistler WS1098
Motorola SL4000
CS701 VHF DMR
Bumfu@k UV-5
Some old random toot
Im_Listening

Postby G4RMT » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:14 pm

The problem for a listener is that they're not really repeaters in the usual sense, but nodes in an international system. The users select where their source content appears, so they can control how it works. So if somebody is talking to say a group of people in New York, then the output data stream here contains the three or four people in the conversation. If on the other hand, the three americans are talking to somebody on a digital repeater you can't hear locally, nothing you can do. Each in and out point only contains traffic using it. If your local users are not talking internationally, then you can't do anything. You could get a license and become a user yourself of course. Not too much effort required, and then you can initiate foreign conversations at will (if anyone answers, which is never guaranteed!)
G4RMT

Postby CW-2E0UCW » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:47 pm

The Bridgend repeater is connected to the South West cluster so traffic is either local or one of the repeaters in the cluster therefore there would be ni traffic from outside the group and country.

The Bristol repeater would be on Brand Meister (and Phoenix if it's Weston Super Mare). For Brand Meister especially since they do not carry many talk groups as "always on" and run via a reflector system which used TG9 slot 2. A DV4 Mini allows you to connect to various reflectors and talk groups via a dashboard and then you can listen via a DMR radio. Phoenix / DMR-MARC on the other hand carries calling channels as "always on" and general chat talk groups as "user activated"

More info and links to other networks around the UK via http://www.dmr-uk.net
CW-2E0UCW

Return to DMR & Digital Modes