Tetra trunking TMO & DMO now available on AOR AR-DV1

Forum for DMR, dPMR, NEXEDGE, Mototrbo, MARC, Tetra & all other DIGITAL modes

Tetra trunking TMO & DMO now available on AOR AR-DV1

Postby Alfie » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:55 pm

I just read today here viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6571 that the AOR AR-DV1 scanner can now decode trunked tetra along with the original DMO tetra it was only capable of.

this is pretty exciting news for me as i own a AR-DV1

this means the AR-DV1 can now decode and receive all tetra transmissions

so i am going to post a step by step guide here basically posting how i have added the update and what i can get with it....
Alfie

Re: Tetra trunking TMO & DMO now available on AOR AR-DV1

Postby Alfie » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:08 pm

Installing the new Tetra trunking upgrade...

You can download the update from AOR here http://www.aorusa.com/support/firmware.html

I am downloading it now and here are the release notes...

AR-DV1 FIRMWARE UPDATE v1812A (BETA) RELEASE NOTES

(c)2018 AOR, LTD.

Dec 21, 2018

The following feature has been added:
- Addition of T-TC mode (for Tetra Traffic Channel)
Important: This is BETA firmware of which only purpose is for you to test voice decoding of the traffic channels of Tetra trunking networks. Full instructions *here*. For normal receiver use (other than trunking), please use the stable firmware release 1805A.

Time to install. ok so here are the instructions from AOR at http://www.aorusa.com/support/firmware/ ... ctions.pdf

Alfie

Postby Alfie » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:43 pm

ok so i have took the memory card out of my AR-DV1 and formatted it.

i downloaded the new tetra 1812A firmware and am about to add it to the memory card and start the scanner up and install it

there is tetra dotted about the bands but this is what i am going to be looking at first...

the emergency service (fire police and ambulance) tetra airwave band 380-395MHz
i know most if not all of this band is encrypted but its where i will head first. who knows ?

the arquiva/tetra/mod/airwave band 410-425MHz
dont know what to expect here ?

the 440 to about 444MHz band 440-444MHz
unencrypted tetra reported here

450-453MHz
prisons reported here

454MHz
tetra reported here

not sure how it will go and if i will decode and pick up anything but here goes.....
Alfie

Postby Alfie » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:24 pm

OK so i had to nip out but am back to try it. with nearly 100 views on this post since i first posted i was hoping to have at least one response ??
Alfie

Postby Staffs Paul » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:29 am

Alfie wrote:OK so i had to nip out but am back to try it. with nearly 100 views on this post since i first posted i was hoping to have at least one response ??

Keep it rolling good buddy I have the DV1 too and so far like you said before I am not happy with the grand I paid for it. This though could be a big move forward. I have arthritis and other issues my scanner is my lifeline and this is the first post for a while that has got me interested :thumbup:
Staffs Paul

Postby Minus1 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:15 am

I disagree with the statement by AOR that only the traffic channels are on permanently.
That may be the case in some countries, but in the UK I haven't noticed ANY Airwave transmissions that come and go, they are all on permanently.
Most airwave sites use two frequencies (providing seven talk channels plus the control channel). In busy urban areas I've found up to eight frequencies (e.g. on an office block in Yardley, Birmingham - that's 31 talk channels plus the control channel - though some may be directional).
It's very rare to find just one frequency in use (e.g Beddgelert in Snowdonia - there is just one blatantly obvious antenna on the roof of the Royal Goat Hotel).
The easiest way to tell which frequency carries the control channel is to use an SDR to spot the very brief data pulses on the input frequency.
I reserve the right to ignore people who have made no attempt to the read the manual, and expect others to do it for them.
Minus1

Postby Minus1 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:28 am

Alfie wrote:ok so i have took the memory card out of my AR-DV1 and formatted it.

i downloaded the new tetra 1812A firmware and am about to add it to the memory card and start the scanner up and install it

there is tetra dotted about the bands but this is what i am going to be looking at first...

the emergency service (fire police and ambulance) tetra airwave band 380-395MHz
i know most if not all of this band is encrypted but its where i will head first. who knows ?

the arquiva/tetra/mod/airwave band 410-425MHz
dont know what to expect here ?

the 440 to about 444MHz band 440-444MHz
unencrypted tetra reported here

450-453MHz
prisons reported here

454MHz
tetra reported here

It's not the band that it encrypted, it is individual talk groups.
As Airwave is also used unencrypted, some of the data must be unencrypted in order to allow those users to work.
Does the AOR provide any such open data, such as the site number?

Airwave Extended mobile 410.0125-411.9875 and base 420.0125-421.9875 but only in London.

There are some unidentified signals in top 4 or 5 of those channels outside London (e.g Midlands), but never identified where from.
They do not look like normal Airwave signals, but do seem to be on 25k channels offset by 12.5k.

454/464 is in use at some airports:
454.60000 AirRadio EGCC Manchester / Glasgow
454.62500 AirRadio EGPD Aberdeen
454.65000 AirRadio EGBB Birmingham
454.65000 AirRadio EGCC Manchester / Glasgow
454.72500 AirRadio EGCC Manchester
454.75000 AirRadio EGBB Birmingham

Highlands Council Highways are reported to use Airwave as it was the cheapest way of achieving coverage considering their topography, don't know if encrypted or not.
I reserve the right to ignore people who have made no attempt to the read the manual, and expect others to do it for them.
Minus1

Postby bigboyblue » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:55 am

I know there's not much range in TMO handheld tetra sets, however a fair few 'event' medical companies like to look cool and use old tetra sets on dmo tg01 programmed into them (think around 433) - so if theres something close and you cant find a medical channel on the normal event freqs, then this may be it.
bigboyblue

Postby Metradio » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:51 am

Alfie wrote:OK so i had to nip out but am back to try it. with nearly 100 views on this post since i first posted i was hoping to have at least one response ??

Have it up and running here, plenty of encrypted Airwave, Heathrow Trunked and various users sprinkled around the UHF bands..
In use you only see the active frequency and Talkgroup (1-4) displayed - no other info..
Active TETRA users are easily found by searching, enter the search frequency limits, set the mode to T-TC, adjust the squelch (as shown in the upgrade instructions), set the search steps to 12.5KHz and away you go...
In use it will ignore all other modes and only open up on clear or encrypted TETRA speech, sadly most of the activity is encrypted - to counter this I have enroled in night classes to learn Klingon :laughs:

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD.
WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q /UBCD3600XLT / WTR Browser.
Metradio

Postby Alfie » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:43 pm

Metradio wrote:In use it will ignore all other modes and only open up on clear or encrypted TETRA speech, sadly most of the activity is encrypted - to counter this I have enroled in night classes to learn Klingon :laughs:

Mike

thanks mike and i know what you mean it sounds like klingon with a bit of bubble and squeak haha :laughs:

so i have for a good 40+ hours been testing the 380-395MHz band used by tetra airwave/emergency services....

first thing to say is everything here is encrypted and sounds like klingon/bubble and squeak. there is a lot of activity in this band as you can expect. control channels that transmit constantly but have intermittent speach. i will post an audio sample if anyone wants ? sure i remember hearing that tetra could not be decoded as it needed authentication but it looks as though that claim was wrong as aor is decoding it even if not unencrypting it. it looks hopeful as for the first time i have heard it decoded other than noise even though its encrypted. i wonder if an unencryption option might be available in the future ?

so i will leave the airwave 380-395MHz band as though it decodes i now see for myself that all is encrpted there. its the main thing i and most people want to listen to but we have to face it that we may probably never be able to listen to the blue lights again. though this aor upgrade gives hope.

so i have turned to look for clear networks....

found a lot of activity on 423 MHz but i have left it on for ages but not had any decodes. can anyone confirm this band is tetra ? for example frequency 423.9625 ?
Alfie

Next

Return to DMR & Digital Modes