Best scanner for UK newbie?

Talk about radio and non radio stuff in here, a place for Genral Chit Chat

Re: Best scanner for UK newbie?

Postby Scan125 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:09 pm

Privateer wrote:I know that there is a Windows program called Scan125 Control Program for programming and integrating the Uniden UBC-125XLT but unfortunately, my wife and I use Macs. Is there any way of keeping a file (text or .csv) on the Mac to update and then transfer via USB cable to the UBC-125XLT for updating the frequencies their labels/names/descriptions?
Many thanks,

Well I wrote Scan125 and I do have a number, not many, of MAC users. The seem to tackle the us of Scan125 on a MAC but different methods. As long as you can get Windows running on the MAC, either by a Virtual Machine Setup, Parallels, or a native Windows boot with BOOT CAMP then Scan125 is known to work.

If I recall correctly then the native boot camp is the most reliable and performance way to go.

Windows 10 can be downloaded for free, with certain function limitations, but none of these will worry Scan125.

Alternatively genuine windows 7 and 8.1 licenses are going cheap these days.

Please NOTE! I'm not saying that getting Scan125 running on a MAC is plain sailing. Just a possibility that some have undertaken.
Scan125

Postby Scan125 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:15 pm

And being fair to my competitors I found this software for the MAC which is probably a better solution assuming real time virtual control is not required.

See: http://www.ronaldleenes.nl/macbearcat/
Scan125

Postby GalaxianFive » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:57 pm

I have had a Uninden UBC125XLT for a year now, it is brill! It will let you listen to all aircraft frequencies civil and military and PMR transmissions [taxis, companys, etc] you want to here the red arrows, this will let you! but you will need a decent antenna, I use a skyscanner multi aerial which comes on a mag mount indoors and in the car and a Moonraker MRW-100 when carrying around at airshows etc. Both are available on e-bay at reasonable prices around £20. The antenna you get with the scanner is rubbish and I hve never used it.
GalaxianFive

Postby Minus1 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:45 am

Scan125 wrote:And being fair to my competitors I found this software for the MAC which is probably a better solution assuming real time virtual control is not required.

I've tried that. It doesn't work. :rolleyes:
I reserve the right to ignore people who have made no attempt to the read the manual, and expect others to do it for them.
Minus1

Postby Scan125 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:38 pm

Minus1 wrote:
Scan125 wrote:And being fair to my competitors I found this software for the MAC which is probably a better solution assuming real time virtual control is not required.

I've tried that. It doesn't work. :rolleyes:

Have you tied Scan125 on the MAC with your scanner Minus1? If so did you get it to work OK (possibly having to slow down the polling rate) and what setup/solution did you use. May help others (and me) to know.
Scan125

Postby skyhigh » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:20 pm

I also have the Uniden 125XLT,using an external antenna and connect the headset jack through to my HiFi which works a treat.
skyhigh

Postby Privateer » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:27 pm

Hi all,

As a follow up, I'd like to thank everybody for their advice. I bought my wife a Uniden 125XLT and a Moonraker MRW-100 antenna (as suggested by GalaxianFive) for Christmas and she was very happy with them.

Now we've got to spend a bit of time learning how to use the Uniden 125XLT. :thumbup:

Once again, many thanks for your help and advice to a newbie!

Regards,
Privateer

Previous

Return to General Discussion