Welcome and Introductions - Say Hello Here :)

Talk about radio and non radio stuff in here, a place for Genral Chit Chat

Re: Welcome and Introductions - Say Hello Here :)

Postby m0lsx » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:14 am

Westy K wrote:
Sorry this is a lot of info and I am probably not really getting the the details across very well but what I am thinking at the moment and would value you input on is that I feel I need to earth everything consistently. Certainly all the radio Chassis. Not sure what to do about the Dual Band antenna though. Should it have its own or will connecting it to an earthed radio be enough?
Thanks
Ian

Personally unless I have a good reason to, I never add any earthing to anything VHF or UHF.
If your antenna is in the loft where is your radio? As the longer any earth wire is the more probability that it could become a problem.
NEVER earth anything to your central heating as that can become a source of noise, (interference.) The same with any electrical earthing point.
So if your radio is not on the ground floor with a earth stake very close by. Don't earth anything & a radios earthing point needs to a good one, so often they are little more than something that makes you feel better.
And if you are not transmitting & this is a listeners forum, why earth the radios chassis or the antenna, unless you find a reason that makes you really need to?
I find the simpler a set up, the better it is, in general.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Re: Welcome and Introductions - Say Hello Here :)

Postby iomegachris » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:18 am

Hello to everyone on this very helpful forum and thanks for all the hard work behind the scenes. Like many others here, I have rekindled an interest in wireless, dug out an old scanner (Uniden 3500XLT) and found it is still working. Good news!

I was active on the Amateur bands in the 1980’s (first as a 2E1 and then M1) but then let it go till now. Living in Minehead, West Somerset on the coast and unfortunately rather in the shadow of North Hill so not sure what we’ll be able to hear. Putting a Diamond D-190 discone on the roof later this week so we’ll have to wait and see.

I have spent many hours already playing catchup with thousands of posts on here and learning much about what’s new. I love the 3500 and, despite the comments of some others, find the rationale of dynamic memory to be totally logical - in fact why aren’t all scanners like this?? ;) I agree with users who compare the concept of System >> Groups >> Channels to that of Main Folder >> Sub-Folder >> File on our PCs.

I have been using the latest edition of the Kimmy JS19 database to start setting up the scanner with likely frequencies. For my “Custom Search Bands” I have used the post from M0LSX suggesting 165. 0125 to 168.2250, 169.84375 to 173.04375 and 440.00625 to 447.925. I have also added the Military airband (225-399.95Mhz) but this still leaves me six more bands to program. Any suggestions for what would be useful areas to explore.

Also, a question about the Broadcast Screen Bands which can be selected to block out unwanted signals when using Close Call etc. Does anyone actually use these - 10 bands can be programmed. What frequencies should I put in here?Are pagers etc still a problem? Thanks for advice on this.

So glad we have such a great space to share and help each other.
iomegachris

Previous

Return to General Discussion