Digital Scan and Vote Systems

Forum for DMR, dPMR, NEXEDGE, Mototrbo, MARC, Tetra & all other DIGITAL modes

Digital Scan and Vote Systems

Postby Neil57uk » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:21 pm

There are now a number of digital scan and vote systems cropping up. What in analogue days was called an open carrier transmits constantly from various masts and the mobile radio automatically connects to the strongest signal. Problem is that a digi scanner cant scan because it simply holds on the the carrier.

Using Uniden equipment, has anybody worked out a way of ignoring the carrier until there is speech? Had an Icom that did it for analogue systems some years ago.
Neil57uk

Re: Digital Scan and Vote Systems

Postby brian-w » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:38 am

I know you specifically asked about Uniden, but just to say that the Whistler TRX-1/2 series, when in search/scan mode appears to sample the digital signal (i.e. briefly stops), checks it and if it's data only, moves on. A very useful facility.
brian-w

Postby Neil57uk » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:15 pm

Thanks for that info Brian. Have always been put off Whistlers given the poor reports about them but perhaps I should try one. How long does it pause on the carrier before resuming scan please?
Neil57uk

Postby brian-w » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:00 am

Neil57uk wrote:Thanks for that info Brian. Have always been put off Whistlers given the poor reports about them but perhaps I should try one. How long does it pause on the carrier before resuming scan please?

I'd say typically less than a second. In fact, because the (digital) audio is muted, unless you're looking at the display you wouldn't realise it's even sampled a non-voice channel.

I've never really experienced any major issues with my sets (TRX1/2). Yes, there has been the occasional SD card issue, but that's usually resolved by powering off and/or removing then plugging the card back in. Given that it's fed via a passive 3-way splitter from an external mag mount aerial (I use the same aerial to feed 3 receivers, so I expect some losses along the way), I've been pleasantly surprised at the range/sensitivity overall. With a wide band front end as you'll find on most scanners, the spot frequency sensitivity will never be as good as a dedicated receiver for a given frequency.
brian-w

Postby Neil57uk » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:08 am

Thanks again Brian. The Unidens are so simple to use so have stuck with them but perhaps I should broaden my horizons.
Neil57uk

Return to DMR & Digital Modes