Will they all eventually go digital?

Talk about radio and non radio stuff in here, a place for Genral Chit Chat

Will they all eventually go digital?

Postby Southwales » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:57 am

Hi, Have found some interesting frequencies to listen to over the last few months, for example a near by holiday park, is it correct to assume that when for example there Motorola radios start to break or need new batteries etc, and they decide to upgrade that they will now only be offered digital radios, or are new analogue radios from Motorola for example still sold to them type of businesses?
Southwales

Re: Will they all eventually go digital?

Postby m0lsx » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:16 pm

Who knows?
There are so many variables to consider. For example I know a local hospital who brought some totally rubbish digital PMR light simple radios for a fortune from a commercial supplier, as they were told it was totally private!!! The supplier also knows they use two different frequencies on two wards that are side by side for a use that is very staff & patient safety orientated. But that same allegedly professional supplier has them both on side by side frequencies, so they desensitise each other!!!
But also know of other users who buy cheaply off the likes of Ebay & know what they are doing.
For me questions like this comes down to that old issue of how seriously users treat their radio use. The hospital in question employs several radio amateurs, but have put a doctor in charge of it's radios & he knows less about radios than I know about soap operas.
The issue is, would a company put just anyone in charge of their IT systems? Or would they expect them to understand security & how systems work?
With radios most commercial users put any dumb arse in charge & never consider how radio use could impact on their Data Protection Act compliance or their site security, or their staff safety.
I worked for a car recovery company who use to routinely pass credit card details over an open to all FM repeater system & my local airport had bollards & armed police present at it's main terminal just after an attack on other airports. But it also had a security gate that opened by simply sending a CTCSS code on the right frequency!!!!
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby G4RMT » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:21 pm

My opinion is that the users care little about the radios, apart from buzzwords or obvious things like displays. I've sold lots of analogue radios simply because when the operator presses a button, the other radios stick ups the callers name on the display. They don't care about security, or even sound quality - they use them because of the display. One of these clients now has digital simply because of the display, and I could get them cheaper than the old clever analogue ones. So they are digital without even being aware. My guess is this will drive the digits forward.
G4RMT

Postby AndrewIrvine » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:30 pm

I heard the security manager of the local shopping centre say it was now safe to give out confidential information on the 'new radio's'. I heard this while listening in on a £5.60 SDR antenna I got off eBay and free software.
200 miles in 2 days for my 3 children.
https://www.justgiving.com/Andrew-Gordon-50

Pro 2042, Pro 26, 3500XLT
Yaesu FT60-R, Yeasu 1900, Retevis RT3, Tytera MD380, Retevis H777, FDC160A, 278B, Puxing 888

"I'm listening.."
AndrewIrvine

Return to General Discussion