Newbie Expectations

A place to talk about everything Radio and Scanning

Newbie Expectations

Postby Bumble_Bee » Tue May 01, 2018 10:05 pm

Hi all.

I’m new to scanning so just want to understand what to expect (as my expectations might be too high!).

I’m currently hearing almost one sided snippets of conversations. I never hear “return” chat. [Air Traffic]

My scanner (Uniden) is set to the stock 2 second delay. Is this considered correct?

I’ve not got round to understanding close call yet but would that setting make a difference?

Do I also need to worry about CTCSS as well – this bit gets a bit confusing.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Bumble_Bee

Re: Newbie Expectations

Postby Minus1 » Tue May 01, 2018 10:16 pm

No CTCSS on AM.
If you are just hearing aircraft, but not air traffic controllers, it's because you are too far away from any NATS sites or airports.
Add you approx location to your profile and people might be able to help.
Close call is irrelevant to picking up distant signals.
I reserve the right to ignore people who have made no attempt to the read the manual, and expect others to do it for them.
Minus1

Postby Bumble_Bee » Tue May 01, 2018 11:01 pm

Thanks minus1 - that is all helpful stuff.

It's a bit of a learning exercise for me all this - but I'll keep going!

I'm about 15 miles away from Birmingham airport.

I'll start researching the individual components of it all next I think.

Cheers.
Bumble_Bee

Postby Southwales » Tue May 01, 2018 11:41 pm

Southwales

Postby Minus1 » Fri May 04, 2018 8:12 am

Bumble_Bee wrote:I'm about 15 miles away from Birmingham airport.

Birmingham Airport transmitters are all at the airport as far as I know.
Nearest NATS transmitters are at Clee Hill near Ludlow, Daventry, Waltham on the Wolds, Winstone, Kelsall.
This site will show you the topography between your house and any transmitter:
http://www.heywhatsthat.com/profiler.html
If there are no hills in the way, you may need a better antenna.
If your scanner is handheld, going up the nearest hill will help you find receivable frequencies.
I reserve the right to ignore people who have made no attempt to the read the manual, and expect others to do it for them.
Minus1

Postby G4RMT » Fri May 04, 2018 9:34 am

Sometimes common sense expectations are a bit off the mark.

If you look at those cheap little walkie-talkie radios people use, they're lucky to hear much above a few hundred yards. RF just doesn't survive passing through things very well. Between an aircraft hundreds of miles away and you is just air - this means that if you had a pair of incredibly powerful binoculars, and could see the aircraft, you could hear it. Anything you cannot see - like the airport, relies on there being enough RF going through things or bouncing off things for your radio to still have enough. Nothing wrong with the radio - just how physics works. If you are listening downstairs, try upstairs, with just glass between you and the airport. For your location, that's as good as it gets without outside aerials.

I live on a hill (I thought) and while fixing my drone this morning, flew it just above my rooftop, and in one direction, there is no horizon - just houses, which explains a lot why I like you, even with an outside aerial at 30 miles cannot hear Norwich airport.

CTCSS, by the way stops you hearing things - so no use for scanner enthusiasts. Radio users find it handy to stop them hearing messages on the same frequency from similar locations. We have a weatherspoons pub, a school and a farmer all on the same channel. I hear all of them, their CTCSS means they only hear their own!
G4RMT

Postby Bumble_Bee » Sat May 12, 2018 9:59 pm

Thanks all - It seems that (yes) I'm living low down from BHX so got no chance until I venture out to the airport or up a hill. At least I'm starting to understand how everything (well the basics!) work.

Cheers.
Bumble_Bee

Return to Radio and Scanning Chat